The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Best tricks for shedding those few extra pounds? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/best-tricks-shedding-those-few-extra-80462/)

x3emilygrace 03-08-2011 04:32 PM

Best tricks for shedding those few extra pounds?

Hey everyone!
So summer will be here in no time, and I am definitely guilty of gaining weight over winter. Currently, I am 130 and 5'1", so I want to lose around 15-20 pounds.

It can be more difficult sometimes when you don't have much to lose, so does anyone have tricks to share?

What did you do to get rid of that last bit of weight?

Thanks!

x3emilygrace 03-08-2011 05:07 PM

I realized I should probably be more specific.

I know like the basics of exercising and eating healthy and stuff, but I'm just looking for exercises to slim down. I'm thinking I really need that mix of cardio and weights?

Also, what are people's thoughts on three meals a day vs. several small meals? [With my goal in mind]

Thanks again!!

TaMMa89 03-08-2011 06:36 PM

I haven't been there myself but I firmly believe that eating healthy food, having healthy habits and burning more calories than you have them is a safe way if you need to lose some weight.

Good luck :-)

Walkamile 03-08-2011 08:08 PM

Yes Tamma, there is no magic formula. Basic theory is amount of calories taken in , amount used up by exercise.

So healthy food choices plus portion control is great. As far as 3 squares vs several small meals, that's up to you. Three squares doesn't mean to gorge , you still need portion control. I know the theory behind several small meals is to keep the metabolism revved up, but it always seemed like a lot of work to me. I prefer 3 meals and a couple snacks, like fruit. Oh, and I drink lots of water, good thing I like it. So important for the skin and body.

As for exercise, cardio and resistance is great.

Remember, the slower is comes off the better, not that I like that! And it's about incorporating life changes, not just the when I reach my goal attitude.

Sounds like you're doing things correctly, just keep at it, but enjoy your activities. If you hate running, find some cardio exercise you like so you'll still with it and make it a life habit.

And remember, deprivation is not the answer.

Good luck to you!

GeminiJumper 03-09-2011 12:45 PM

Water water water!

No sodas and other junk like that. I myself would just like to lose 10 lbs but I know I've kept off a lot of weight by only having water as my source of liquid. It really helps if you don't keep any sodas and what not at home. Watch the alcohol, too. No beer bellies!!

Not only can it help with your weight but it is great for you skin as well ask keeping your body truly hydrated and cleaned out. LOL