The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   OUR VERY FIRST HORSE ARRIVES TODAY!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/our-very-first-horse-arrives-today-8050/)

jafdp 04-19-2008 02:16 AM

OUR VERY FIRST HORSE ARRIVES TODAY!!

Good morning. I am new to your site, having only discovered it late last night, and it is only just 7am this morning, so by that you can see the level of excitement! Rowan, our chestnut mare, 15.1,,13 yrs old, tb x (with something!) arrives today from Shropshire. We have beautiful new stables, the best rubber matting, shavings and 16 acres of ungrazed grass.....and that's my question. The place where Rowan has come from had no grass at all, so she has been on feed, hay and a bare field. Some are telling me that she can be turned out straight away, others are saying very gradual introduction to the grazing. I have to say that I am minded to go with the second option - reduce the feed, give her hay, and I have sectioned off a very small piece of grazing. My thoughts are that I will increase the grazing maybe by a metre a week? Primarily she is our daughters first horse - my daughter being a novice rider, so the work Rowan will be doing will be hacking out probably every other day, I have a terrible fear of colic, and having researched it, I am sure that going from no grass to lush grass could cause just that. Am I right in my thinking?Any advice would be truly welcomed. Thank you so much.

Abby 04-19-2008 02:51 AM

It is not the amount of grass they have to graze on it, its the time they are on it.

Start out with a half hour of grazing + the her regular feed. Every three or so days drop the some of the hay and ad a half hour to her grazing, until she is on full grass. It should take you quite some time, a good month to do it properly IMO. Some will disagree but that is the beauty of opinions.

The more gradual, the less upset the stomach and the lesser the chance of foundering or colicing.

Vidaloco 04-19-2008 05:02 AM

Abby's right, the more slowly you make any changes to the diet the better. I don't take a month more like a week or two going from hay to grass. And I go an hour at a time. So yes, that is a matter of choice/opinion on how you do it. I think the overall health of the horse should play into it too.
Congratulations on your new family member, :D

jafdp 04-20-2008 03:55 AM

Hi and thanks for your replies; well she arrived lunchtime yesterday and was obviously a bit nervous to start with, but she was marvellous - straight into her penned off grazing, head down, munching, looking quite a home. We did have a slight concern, because after 3 hours she still hadn't done a poo or a wee - that was until we took her in to her lovely new stable, with top quaility rubber matting and shavings! The first thing she did was both!! I hear what everyone is saying about it being trial and error - but I would rather avoid the error if possible! Thanks again for all your help

ilovemyhorsies 04-20-2008 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jafdp
Hi and thanks for your replies; well she arrived lunchtime yesterday and was obviously a bit nervous to start with, but she was marvellous - straight into her penned off grazing, head down, munching, looking quite a home. We did have a slight concern, because after 3 hours she still hadn't done a poo or a wee - that was until we took her in to her lovely new stable, with top quaility rubber matting and shavings! The first thing she did was both!! I hear what everyone is saying about it being trial and error - but I would rather avoid the error if possible! Thanks again for all your help

congrats on the new addition!

some horses do that.....po or wee in their stable because thats what they are used to or just poo or wee in a certain area (kinda like using a toilet :lol:)

My2Geldings 04-20-2008 03:19 PM

Congrats on the new horse, do we have pictures yet?!

jafdp 04-21-2008 04:16 PM

Hi - yes I have some lovely pics - but I don't know how to upload them to this site!!

Rowan had settled in nicely - then the new arrival came! A 16hh gelding cob - he is lovely, but huge! Against my advice and without me there, he was turned out with her after an hour of being there and she kicked him - fortunately he didn't kick back otherwise I may be telling a very different story. Nevertheless, we have sectioned them off now - so they can see each other, but couldn't touch - although we have put them in the stable tonight where they can see and smell each other - there has been a bit of squealing going on from Rowan - this whole process has brought her into season as well - she is is acting a bit like the local t*rt!! I don't want to risk them being together in the field yet - so we intend to keep them apart for at least another week - in the same set up - so they can see each other and touch noses, but can't "get" to each other. Does anyone have any views about turning them out together? It's been a long long time since I've had a horse - (keeping in mind that this is my daughters horse!) and I had forgotten how stressful it is - either that or I am worrying too much......has she got enough grass, has she got too much grass, are her hooves ok - is she too hot, is she too cold, should I keep the rug on during the day,is that too much hay, is it not enough hay - :cry: I am sure in time we will get it right.........[/img]

Vidaloco 04-21-2008 04:34 PM

We have always done a 2 week quarantine whenever we get a new horse. For health reasons if not for safetys sake. That way they get time to see the vet get wormed, trimmed or whatever they need before they're introduced to the herd.
Trust me, you will be less stressed about it as time goes on. Your always going to worry but I think its all part of horse ownership. The good far outweighs the grey hairs :lol:

My2Geldings 04-21-2008 05:02 PM

I like to keep my horses out on their own for a while before being moved over with another horse(s).

I really like what Vidaloco posted. Great advice.

We want to see photos!

appylover31803 04-21-2008 08:31 PM

Here's a video about how to upload photos

http://www.horseforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8709

congrats on your new horse!