The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Using a Metal Curry Comb (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/using-metal-curry-comb-80521/)

gaelgirl 03-09-2011 01:15 AM

Using a Metal Curry Comb

So, my horse lives in a pasture, and every day I go out to see him, he is covered in mud, which I would remove with a metal curry comb, but I was told that a metal curry comb pulls out the winter coat so you shouldn't use it until the weather warms up, but I have also seen others who ride at my barn using metal curry combs. So my question is will my horse lose his winter coat if I use a metal curry comb on him?
Thanks in advance for your help.

AlexS 03-09-2011 01:46 AM

There are lots of people who use them, I prefer not to as my horse is ouchy. I use a rubber curry like either of the two pictured in the top right pic

Equine Grooming Supplies: Oster Equine Care Series Brushes, Combs, Scrapers, & Picks

drafteventer 03-09-2011 01:51 AM

I don't think it would pull out the hair unless it's ready to come out. I use it on my horse all the time and have never had a problem with it.

CharliGirl 03-11-2011 05:55 PM

I use metal curries/shedding blades year round. I've never had any trouble with it pulling out their winter coats...horses grow a lot of hair and I doubt a few pulled out by a comb is a big deal.

BackInTheSaddleAgain 03-11-2011 07:06 PM

What she said :-)
Quote:

Originally Posted by drafteventer (Post 955908)
I don't think it would pull out the hair unless it's ready to come out. I use it on my horse all the time and have never had a problem with it.

RodeoLoco 03-11-2011 07:47 PM

I agree with every one here. I use metal curries all year. Plus, I also have about three different shedding blades that I use. :P

tinyliny 03-11-2011 08:11 PM

I use a human hair brush with nobby "bristles". the horsies love the scatching power!

gypsygirl 03-11-2011 09:22 PM

i used a metal curry comb when they are really dirty or shedding a lot. my mare loves it on her face =]

smrobs 03-11-2011 09:25 PM

I also use a metal curry to remove stubborn mud, both during the winter and the summer. But, like Alex said, you have to be careful using one on a horse with thin or sensitive skin (Arabs, TBs, etc).

usandpets 03-11-2011 11:06 PM

I use a metal curry comb all year. When there is stuff stuck to the horse, mud or manure, I'm more carefull so it doesn't pull too hard and pull on the hair. If you're wondering if you're combing to hard, try combing your arm. I've done the inside of my arm where it's more sensitive. That'll give you an idea how it feels to the horse.