The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Great Tip For Leg Position (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/great-tip-leg-position-80534/)

neversaywoah 03-09-2011 08:27 AM

Great Tip For Leg Position

I found this tip for how to solve any issues with improper leg position. Take a look: The HorseLady: Riding Tip: Maintaining Proper Leg Position

bsms 03-09-2011 11:46 AM

If jumping is the goal, I have no opinion. Haven't tried it and don't have a clue. For flatwork, and speaking only for myself, that would guarantee my legs would be tense and stiff. My seat would suck and so would my riding.

The stirrup leather should hang down. Gravity should naturally encourage it to do so. If your saddle fits and you have the right bend for the stirrup length, then your foot should naturally go beneath you. If it doesn't, wouldn't the problem be an unbalanced seat? (I'm in learn mode, not lecture mode here.)

mls 03-09-2011 11:48 AM

bsms - the OP is just trying to draw attention to her blog.

bsms 03-09-2011 11:53 AM

Ah...two posts, both with blog links. And me with a hook in my mouth, getting reeled in.

mls 03-09-2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsms (Post 956232)
Ah...two posts, both with blog links. And me with a hook in my mouth, getting reeled in.

Actually you asked a question she obviously could not answer and shut her down.

Kudos!

rottenweiler 03-09-2011 03:42 PM

my instructor says I keep my leg too far back behind the girth. She suggested maybe having a lesson with the stirrups tied to the girth...what do you think about that?

MIEventer 03-09-2011 04:56 PM

Ok, well her blog is redonculous.

First the picture used, is incorrect IMO. Your feet should NOT surpass the girth. Clearly in this picture, the riders toes are beyond the girth. Your heels should be aligned with your hips. If you can look down, and see your toes - your feet are too far ahead.

Secondly, you cannot stick a glove or something flat just below the knee's and ride around - because that teaches the rider to grip. That doesn't teach the rider to maintain a proper leg position.

Thirdly, where is the information on if the rider has a saddle that doesn't aid their position, but hinders? You can tell a rider who has poor leg position how to correct it till the cows come home, but if the saddle is not the correct saddle for the rider, no amount of struggling and work will correct it.

And, the fourth point as stated by bsms:

Quote:

The stirrup leather should hang down. Gravity should naturally encourage it to do so. If your saddle fits and you have the right bend for the stirrup length, then your foot should naturally go beneath you. If it doesn't, wouldn't the problem be an unbalanced seat? (I'm in learn mode, not lecture mode here.)

MyBoyPuck 03-09-2011 06:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gotta differ with ya MIE. The leg in that pic is a tad forward, but the heel does almost line up perfectly with the hips. A lot of people ride with their legs too far back and don't know it. OP might be fishing for some viewers, but the pic is correct. Also, I don't think the suggestion of putting a glove a few inches below the knee would not encourage pinching if it is placed far enough down. My leg swings all over the place. I'm actually going to try it.

Tulula81 03-11-2011 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rottenweiler (Post 956524)
my instructor says I keep my leg too far back behind the girth. She suggested maybe having a lesson with the stirrups tied to the girth...what do you think about that?

My instructor did that for a couple lessons and I personally found it very helpful to get the "feel" of the right leg position. I was riding with my leg too far back behind the girth. I thought my leg was fine since it wasn't swinging around. She wanted to correct it before I got used to riding with my leg incorrect. Doesn't hurt to try! I found I wasn't gripping once my stirrups were tied down.
Posted via Mobile Device

starlinestables 03-13-2011 06:57 AM

This exercise is very helpful and use it with my students alot. The area she outlined in red or where the calf meets the end of the saddle flap is generally were most of your pressure is. Alot of times I will get on and demonstrate for them and have them put their hand in between my leg and the saddle and show them what it's supposed to feel like and then how it feels when I pinch with my knees, heels up ect...

When they drop the glove, piece of paper, or whatever I use.. I make them do a lap in two-point. Either way they are still working on the lower leg.