The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Spring Shots (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/spring-shots-80537/)

DubyaS6 03-09-2011 09:18 AM

Spring Shots

How much do you expect to pay? :-)

Speed Racer 03-09-2011 09:26 AM

Well, with 3 horses, 2 of who need coggins pulled and 1 who needs his teeth done in addition to all the shots, I'm looking at no less than $400.00-$450.00. :-x

DubyaS6 03-09-2011 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 956043)
Well, with 3 horses, 2 of who need coggins pulled and 1 who needs his teeth done in addition to all the shots, I'm looking at no less than $400.00-$450.00. :-x

Thats really not bad for 3 horses and all that stuff! Or it doesn't SEEM bad to me anyway :lol:

It's been a looooooong time since I have had to have any vet work done on a horse. I just got Santana last December and I had a PPE done as well as the Coggins (since the owner didn't have the records for it). The last owner said she was UTD on shots, but again, didn't have record.

So I plan to get her UTD in April, but I have no idea what to expect...

I was thinking $200ish?

Speed Racer 03-09-2011 09:47 AM

Depends on your farm visit fee.

If she doesn't need anything extra, the shots and coggins will probably run you close to $200.00.

My vet gives a discount for multiple horses, because she'd rather mobilize for 3 than just 1.

kitten_Val 03-09-2011 09:52 AM

No teeth - about $200/horse (all shots except botulism + coggins).

littrella 03-09-2011 09:54 AM

It depends on your area and normal prices there. I've had the same vet since forever and he's very inexpensive. Jack just got gelded and his spring shots ( didn't do coggs since he's not going anywhere) but I only spent 150$ all together

sarahver 03-09-2011 09:57 AM

Well I do them myself (you're allowed to in Texas) and all up including ordering the syringes, shipping and the vaccines it was under $150 and just trailered the horse in for a coggins which costs about $30.

I think the vet charges upwards of $350 including the coggins.

That's for rabies, five way, west nile and strangles.

Speed Racer 03-09-2011 10:03 AM

Sarah, we can do our own shots here in VA except for rabies. The vet has to administer it, so she'd have to come out anyway.

sarahver 03-09-2011 10:07 AM

Ah I see. I must admit, I don't really understand why we are allowed to administer them ourselves, it doesn't seem official or regulated enough.

Dubya, I think $200 is reasonable although in the lower range to expect for a vet call etc. The best way to be sure would be to give your vet a call and ask them as it is entirely possible that it could be closer to $400. Is there any way you could trailer her in to the clinic? That will save you $50-$100 in farm call fee.

DubyaS6 03-09-2011 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahver (Post 956087)
Ah I see. I must admit, I don't really understand why we are allowed to administer them ourselves, it doesn't seem official or regulated enough.

Dubya, I think $200 is reasonable although in the lower range to expect for a vet call etc. The best way to be sure would be to give your vet a call and ask them as it is entirely possible that it could be closer to $400. Is there any way you could trailer her in to the clinic? That will save you $50-$100 in farm call fee.

First of all, I could NEVER administer a shot on an animal. I just couldn't do it. Not because I am queasy over needles or anything, but because when I was 12 I saw a horse die within SECONDS of an owner administering their horse a shot incorrectly.

Penicillin directly into the vein. Dead.

Secondly, I should elaborate on the vet call thing. I am moving Santana to a new barn at the end of the month. The new barn uses the same vet that did the PPE (random, but lucky!). They schedule him every 6 months to do maintenance shots, etc to all the horses at the barn (which is about 12 total including Santana). So the farm call ($65) is just split between everyone, so really a non-issue :)

I can ask the barn manager how much to expect. Why I didn't think of this until just now, I may never know :oops: