The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   What type of mares cross well with Silver Design (TWH)? (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/what-type-mares-cross-well-silver-80577/)

southerncowgirl93 03-09-2011 08:59 PM

What type of mares cross well with Silver Design (TWH)?

Well...pretty straightforward. :lol: I have seen some of his get and they do really well at flat shod, versatility, trail, and padded. Just all around. I even have a friend who ropes and cuts off of hers. I would really like to breed Ember to him when she's old enough assuming he's still breeding. Also, what type of disposition does he have. I've met him once and he was really sweet, but I'd love more information from others. Also....any candid shots? :-)

kywalkinghorse2010 03-23-2011 10:36 PM

I've known some Silver Design get and they have absolutely the best temperaments and like you said, are all around horses. The best offspring I saw of him was out of a heavily Ebony bred mare. Ebony always crosses well with Generator, which is what SD is. I think Ember would make very attractive babies with him ;)

southerncowgirl93 03-24-2011 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kywalkinghorse2010 (Post 973187)
I've known some Silver Design get and they have absolutely the best temperaments and like you said, are all around horses. The best offspring I saw of him was out of a heavily Ebony bred mare. Ebony always crosses well with Generator, which is what SD is. I think Ember would make very attractive babies with him ;)

Thanks! :D Thats great to know. Now hopefully he's still breeding when she's old enough. :D

kywalkinghorse2010 03-24-2011 10:00 AM

If he isn't breeding when she is old enough, then I would go to the next best thing: a son of SD with practicly the same performance record as he and also one that produces somewhat the same thing as his sire did: versatility.

southerncowgirl93 03-24-2011 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kywalkinghorse2010 (Post 973498)
If he isn't breeding when she is old enough, then I would go to the next best thing: a son of SD with practicly the same performance record as he and also one that produces somewhat the same thing as his sire did: versatility.

Yeah. But I would love a direct foal from him if I could. :)

kywalkinghorse2010 03-24-2011 08:13 PM

Yes, a direct foal would be the best, but notice I said, "the next best thing" which it would be. How old is Ember right now?

southerncowgirl93 03-24-2011 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kywalkinghorse2010 (Post 974075)
Yes, a direct foal would be the best, but notice I said, "the next best thing" which it would be. How old is Ember right now?

Oops. Sorry. I was like speed reading and didn't register that part. Sorry! :? Ember is 2 years old. She will be 3 on October third. She's a youngun.

kywalkinghorse2010 03-24-2011 08:46 PM

Yeah she is a youngun lol. She's beautiful, nonetheless though. I'd for sure want to breed her to SD if she were mine. They'd make a wonderful pair. Are you showing her or anything?

southerncowgirl93 03-24-2011 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kywalkinghorse2010 (Post 974101)
Yeah she is a youngun lol. She's beautiful, nonetheless though. I'd for sure want to breed her to SD if she were mine. They'd make a wonderful pair. Are you showing her or anything?

Yes. I'm hoping to show her in some NWHA and PWHAT shows in trail pleasure. Maybe some sanctioned shows, but she still doesn't like having her feet messed with a lot, so that would hinder inspections. And I'm going to show her in 4-H shows too. She has a nice gait....well, in my opinion she does. lol. Guess we'll see after we show some.

kywalkinghorse2010 03-28-2011 08:54 PM

Well, that's nice to hear that someone is actually going to promote the breed instead of leaving them as pasture ornaments that are only used for producing more pasture ornaments.