The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   WMHA...today's big ride! (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/wmha-todays-big-ride-8070/)

BluMagic 04-19-2008 07:11 PM

WMHA...today's big ride!

Our 4-H club (Trailblazers) planned a trailride with the White Mountain Horseman's Association today. I have been very nervouos about this 3.5 mile ride. Even though it's not very long, I was afraid of how Blu would be. Jess and I woke up at five to get ready and be at Sierra Springs by nine. We were early but left late. :roll:

Anyhow, the trailride was EXCELLENT!!! We had some bad issues of people falling off...one being one of our leaders and the other being a very inexperienced rider...but I had a great time! Blu was fabulous! He is normally the problem horse but this time he was one of the best. He did his usual headtossing, however, he obeyed fantastically. I can't wait to go on another trailride.

I wish I would have taken pictures. The trail was nicely marked with beautiful surroundings in the mountains. I used the regular tom thumb without a martingale or anything. I love BOO!!

BluMagic 04-19-2008 10:53 PM

Bump

Up

My

:D

Blu was great I need replies! whahaha :twisted: :roll:

PoptartShop 04-19-2008 11:06 PM

Awwwww that's GREAT!!! :D
I am so glad he behaved for you, that's soo good. :D

dtwh 04-20-2008 11:25 AM

Glad you had a great ride!

How come they fell off?

JustDressageIt 04-20-2008 11:27 AM

That's great!

ColleenT 04-20-2008 12:29 PM

there is nothing like the feeling of having your horse act perfectly. I know it can really make it all worth it.

BluMagic 04-20-2008 07:23 PM

The first rider to go was very inexperienced. There are fences to keep the wildlife in and out and there is a gate you open with a bar set at about a foot high you have to walk over. Her horse wouldn't go over. She was consistant with asking him but finally he lunged to the side, she slid off, the horse he went off balance, and she was almost trampled.

Then, if that wasn't enough, one of our leaders was on his little horse fixing the other rider's bridle when his horse got caught on the fence, reared up, and fell on top of him. His knee was already hurting so then his hip was killing. We stopped for like thirty minutes. I felt special.

dtwh 04-20-2008 08:12 PM

Wow, well good thing no one was seriously hurt! I've been on a trail ride and saw one of my best friends get badly injured.

We were trail riding out at Normandy and there's this one big pull that you have to take one at a time. I was the first up, and once I reached the top...I went to turn my horse to wait and I heard him holler out and then heard the rest of the group start yelling. When I looked he was on the ground not moving and his horse was just trying to stand up.

His horse had reared half way up the hill and had fallen backwards on top of him. He broke his colar bone, shattered his knee, broke both legs and one arm, broke all of his ribs and one puncutred his lung. He is fine now, but has limited use of his left arm, he can't bend it all the way out. He still rides with us today, but since then I've been so much more cautious.