The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   What happens when a horse LOVES treats..... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/what-happens-when-horse-loves-treats-8073/)

travlingypsy 04-19-2008 09:11 PM

What happens when a horse LOVES treats.....

So I dont feed my horse treats to often and if I do she gets them in her feeder or she will be biting at your hand and pockets. My show group and I went to this huge tack store, and they bought those like-it balls. The kinds with grains and seeds...Well I had no money and couldnt buy one but knew my horse would love them.

I went home and made my own,well two. I made them into cute lil heart and star. By the second day that I came out to the barn her whole head was sticky! Her forlock was so sticky I could make it stand up like a mo hawk. Ears and fur had seeds and stuff in it. Even under her girth area was sticking.

It was so funny like seeing a kid just get done eating a huge melting ice cream. Both treats were gone. They were big too!

PoptartShop 04-19-2008 10:46 PM

LOL awww that's so cute! :P
Lexi loves treats too...hehe sometimes it can get annoying if I feed her treats, 'cause afterwards she'll be really hyper & try to nibble anything that passes her by!

travlingypsy 04-19-2008 10:58 PM

its funny cause, this one horse gets treats EVERYTIME he gets done being ridden and he dosent get pushy like that...

Bitless 04-19-2008 11:32 PM

Thats such a cool idea, so cute. And sounds like they didnt waste any time getting into them :lol: I can imaging my boy Banjo would be exactly the same....hes gobble it dow in 5mins flat, lol.

What i want to get is a treat ball. One that the horse can push around the paddock and treats fall out. Banjo would LOVE it! but i cant find them....NZ its kinda limited for things like that....so i might have to try and make my own.

travlingypsy 04-19-2008 11:49 PM

They make those treat balls for horses? I know they do for dogs...Cant you just order them online?

dtwh 04-20-2008 11:45 AM

I've tried the treat ball...it didn't work out to great...but only because Dez is a bit of a goof.

I can't feed Dez treats too often...he'll take it to the extreeme. If you drop a carrot in his bucket..he'll holler at you if you walk off...or constantly check you. He's the same with just about anything...you give him an inch and he'll take a mile. lol

Anyway, I got him one of those rolly balls and he FREAKED, guess he thought it was a monster. lol I tried to show him it was a good thing, but he wasn't having it. But this is coming from a horse that used to spook at butterflies. He's silly. :roll:

travlingypsy 04-20-2008 01:01 PM

thats funny I think they are worse then dogs when it comes to begging. I would like to get my horse those lick-it...stuff that hangs from the apple or whatever a lot of the horses in my barn have it. At least now I know any thing that taste good gypse will gobble it up in less then two days. The next time I make the treat balls im going to go out with a camera!

Vidaloco 04-21-2008 09:05 AM

How did you make it? I was wanting one to put at the head of our wash rack to keep them busy when getting a bath. I thought they were a little overpriced. Would love to be able to make one.
I got a bag of cracked corn for my chickens and have been giving the girls a handful. They go nuts for it, more so then for any other treats.

Dumas'_Grrrl 04-21-2008 10:42 AM

I second the motion for a treat recipie! 8)

I have quit giving my boys treats...Twister basically frisks you before you leave to see if you are holding out on him! :lol:

I wanted to do the same thing vida mentioned...keep em busy during bath time!

travlingypsy 04-21-2008 12:30 PM

Well my mom and I make candy its a lot like that. But I will work a recipie up and post it here .... :)