The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   If you won a million dollars.. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/if-you-won-million-dollars-80732/)

Hidalgo13 03-11-2011 08:11 PM

If you won a million dollars..

I was just listening to the song: "If I had a million dollars" and it gave me the idea for this thread... so, if you won or inherited 1 mil. pure, what good use would you put it to?

I'll answer this Question myself later when I've given it more thought. You don't want to waste that million. :wink:

myhorsesonador 03-11-2011 08:19 PM

I would buy the plots of land around my familys land so there would be more room fo rhte horses.

I would build a nice 6 stall barn.

I would buy my dream dog. (Dogo argentino trained for level 3 shutzund)

and a Friesian colt from Black Streling Friesians.

The rest would go into savings to build intrest. :P

Jessabel 03-11-2011 08:30 PM

I'd buy about 50 acres of pasture, then snatch up as many slaughter-bound horses as I could, fix them up, and keep them forever so they never end up in a bad place again.

I'd also put my two horses in dressage training. :wink:

Hidalgo13 03-11-2011 08:55 PM

hmmm, I think this is what I'd do:

First I'd give a little to my parents so they could pay off the mortgage.
Theeeen, well I think I would invest a bit in something reliable, then put some more in a high interest account.
I would probably also buy some land (I'm only 16, but my parents and me have been dreaming of having a quaint cottage somewhere with a few dozen acres)... though maybe not because there are taxes and other things to think about, but I'd definitely put money away so I could buy land later and have a small rescue.

I would keep a few years supply of riding lesson money, and indulge myself with more riding lessons, and go to this really awesome (but expensive) summer riding camp in NY where you ride 5 hours a day (sigh, heaven):D. I really want to go there because you work with professionals and they teach you a bunch of stuff about everything!

oOOOH AND I'D GO TO THE KENTUCKY DERBY!!!!!!! :shock: :wink: :D

And I'd help my parents pay a really awesome vaca this summer because my mom is in great need of a good one. She deserves a major one big time.

paintsrule 03-11-2011 10:23 PM

I would save it till I got out of high school, go to college, then get a job in biology and buy a decent house on acreage.
The acreage would contain a comfortable size house (nothing big), 4 stall barn, couple pastures and paddocks (already fenced), round pen, arena and trails. Maybe 25 acres or so?
I would bring the two horses I have now (probably retired by then) to live there with me and buy two new riding horses, 2 german shepherds and everything I would need to keep my little farm running smoothly.
I would then save whats left over for future use when needed.
If only right? :)

Waybueno 03-11-2011 10:59 PM

Give some to my parents, sell their house.

Buy property and a big house for me and them, a nice barn,a colt and a aquatred for the horses.

NorthernMama 03-11-2011 11:05 PM

I'd give too much away probably for starters. Then I'd buy a different property -- that'd be the hard part... would I stay in the area or move 300 km away....

If I stayed in the area, I'd still work part time, at least until I got a good management business going and had my money making money for me. THEN I'd spend... kids education, travel, skiing, horses...

ahhhh.... to dream... I can dream as long as I don't check if my ticket numbers won this week... When I check the dream is over. I can make my $2 lottery ticket into a game that lasts for a month!

A knack for horses 03-11-2011 11:44 PM

If I had a million dollars...

I would buy a good size piece of land, then build a barn/house combo. After that I would pay off my tuition, give $5,000 to charity. After that, I'm gonna buy my first horse!!! The rest will go in a savings account.

Oh to think hypothetically....

gaelgirl 03-12-2011 04:50 PM

I would: Pay off my student loans, and set some aside for the rest of my tuition. Then, I would buy the land around my home, and fix it up so I could keep my horse there. Then I would set the rest aside for emergencies.

Eliz 03-12-2011 05:41 PM

Its sad, but when you think about it, 1 mill is pretty much nothing these days. I could easily spend it in an hour without even trying.

There is an elderly man that lives in our community that is super loaded. He's probably a gazlillionaire. Anyway, I asked him how much he wanted for his horse trailer, and he told me he wouldn't sell it because money is nothing to him. I wish I could be that rich!