The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Does riding in jeans ruin your saddle? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/does-riding-jeans-ruin-your-saddle-80790/)

petitepyromaniac 03-12-2011 06:02 PM

Does riding in jeans ruin your saddle?

Does it scuff up your saddle? Or leave prints? I'm particularly wondering about english saddles, since I believe western saddles are made for it a little better.

Breeches are such a mark-up in price, I get annoyed when I buy them. It's just stretchy fabric with patches! Come on! If I could just ride in my skinny jeans and half chaps, that would be handy...

But I LOVE my saddle, and wouldn't want to do anything to hurt it! So... how bad is it?

equiniphile 03-12-2011 06:13 PM

Hmm, I've never had jeans ruin my saddle, but my English saddles are both dark-colored. If you're really worried, I would make sure your riding jeans don't have a lot of die on them (light-colored have less than dark-colored).

MacabreMikolaj 03-12-2011 08:27 PM

Depends on the quality. The cheaper your saddle is, the tougher and less "markable" it is. For a higher class saddle (ie. $800 or more brand new), the leather is soft and supple and jeans are general considered a HORRIBLE no-no. The back pockets of normal jeans almost always have studs, and the material itself will wear your saddle down from the rough seams in the crotch.

I always ride in jeans, but I have cheap tack. Yes, Western saddles are designed for jeans as the seat's are almost always made of suede or a similar material to avoid any marking.

But yes, if you have a nice saddle, you're risking damage and unnecessary wear by riding in normal jeans. They make special seamless riding jeans but I've never found them.

Eliz 03-12-2011 08:28 PM

I've heard stuff about the inseam wearing the saddle down, but it has never happened to me. I don't really like riding in jeans, I find it slippery. Jods/Breeches are pretty high in most places. You can buy things like "riding tights" that are for schooling and they are usually cheaper.

I noticed that in my area, jods that have a denim look are in... so I went out and bought some jeggings. Cheap, you can find them easy, and they are comfy like jods ;)

justjump 03-12-2011 08:54 PM

It made a huge tear in my saddle.. Or my last one. But I'm not going to lie, I did not take good care of it. I got a new one and I'm making sure it is well taken care of!
Posted via Mobile Device

AQHA13 03-12-2011 08:56 PM

My english saddle is an old crosby. It's leather is really soft(but durable) and I can see small areas that my jeans have rubbed, it seems to be my back pockets that cause the rubs.

BarrelChick4646 03-12-2011 09:09 PM

I always ride in jeans and I have recently noticed that since I got my new saddle for Christmas, that the saddle is more worn down now from riding in jeans, but i'm pretty sure it is because almost all of my jeans, have studs on the butt pocket so I dont think it would cause to much harm.

Walkamile 03-12-2011 09:16 PM

Hmmmmm......no I have never noticed any damage to my saddle due to wearing jeans. Wonder if all those cowboys have? Interesting question. Will be checking in to read more posts.

bsms 03-12-2011 09:40 PM

The Bates saddle I've got shows no wear from jeans. I've never ridden it in anything else.

I don't know what constitutes "normal jeans", but my Levi 501s don't have studs on the rear pocket. They are also all cotton, so maybe folks with fancier jeans with studs and artificial fibers have more problem.

Frankly, I'd be PISSED if my saddle was so flimsy that wearing blue jeans would harm it!

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/20...elvedge-xl.jpg

Opus 03-12-2011 10:47 PM

I'm riding in a used Crosby PDN at the moment, and I do notice some additional wear and tear from my jeans. Specifically on the arch leading up to the pommel (rough seams in crotch) and sometimes on the seat area from when I'm dismounting and a rivet on my front pocket scratches the seat. (My dismounts are shaky -- much like my legs.)

The scratches/abrasions are never deep, but I do notice them when I'm done riding. Usually some conditioner/oil helps keep them from being noticeable. I am worried though that continuing to ride in jeans is going to leave more than just surface marks and eventually really do harm to it. Which is why I'm shopping around for breeches now. :-\

And if you have a calfskin saddle, you should almost never ride in jeans. The leather is much softer and much more prone to serious damage. You *can* get a seat on a saddle replaced, but it's quite expensive.

Look into Goode Rider for riding jeans/breeches. These are indeed on the pricey side, but I think there are some other companies that also make them. You can also find some relatively inexpensive breeches online (TuffRiders, for one) that you can get for $30 or so. And as someone else mentioned, there's always riding tights.