The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Is there any way to calm my horse down? (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/there-any-way-calm-my-horse-80847/)

Jessabel 03-13-2011 11:43 AM

Is there any way to calm my horse down?

When I'm riding with friends, my horse has to be glued to their horses. Not right on top of their butts, but if they get too far away, he'll pitch a fit (trying to buck and throw his head down). I can get him back under control, but I don't know how to get him to stop doing it in the first place. I just don't want him getting hurt or hurting someone else.

Also, whenever a friend's horse starts trotting, Victor thinks it's a race. He gets a little too enthusiastic and like to throw in a buck or crow-hop (and frankly, I think he would bolt if he thought he could get away with it). So when I try to hold him back and make him walk, he loses his temper and goes nuts (again with the bucking and dancing around like an idiot). I usually turn him in a couple tight circles, and it straightens him out. But how can I train him to stop doing it altogether?

Also, he rides out alone pretty well. And he'll take the lead with a group, so I don't think it's a nervous thing. I think it's just Thoroughbred quirkiness. But I could be wrong.

Anyway, sorry for the novel. ^^'

MyBoyPuck 03-15-2011 11:02 PM

When my TB gets jiggy like he wants to race, I use a more subtle correction to keep him in line. Instead or circles, try putting him in more of a shoulder-fore position. If you don't do dressage, it's basically keeping the horse slightly bent to keep him from being dead straight. It places one hind leg between the front two, so it takes the power out of his hind end engine. This way he can still trot, but it keeps him from bolting. When my horse is being a butt head, this is my way of meeting him half way and saying, "sure we can trot, but no, we're not at Saratoga."

For the glued to the butt thing, put him in front every so often. If he doesn't like being in front, maybe he'll quickly learn that creeping up on the other horses puts him exactly where he doesn't want to be. To me that's more an important thing to correct than the jigging. If he continues to ride up other horse's butts, eventually he's going to take a kick to his jaw.

MyBoyPuck 03-15-2011 11:05 PM

Sorry, duh, I just saw the part where he doesn't mind leading. In that case, for running up on other horse's butts, shut him down with a one rein stop or whatever works for you, but do not relax your rein until he stands AND RELAXES. If you just stop him and resume walking while he was still being a butt, you're just teaching him that there is no consequence for misbehaving.

Jessabel 03-17-2011 11:56 AM

Ah, the shoulder-fore idea is clever. I think I'll try that. Thank you. :-)

jdw 03-17-2011 03:11 PM

I have one that acts the same; I am going to try all mentioned here!! Thanks!!

PerchiesKisses 05-04-2011 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 963895)
When my TB gets jiggy like he wants to race, I use a more subtle correction to keep him in line. Instead or circles, try putting him in more of a shoulder-fore position. If you don't do dressage, it's basically keeping the horse slightly bent to keep him from being dead straight. It places one hind leg between the front two, so it takes the power out of his hind end engine. This way he can still trot, but it keeps him from bolting. When my horse is being a butt head, this is my way of meeting him half way and saying, "sure we can trot, but no, we're not at Saratoga."

This is what I do when my guy gets into "race mode" .. although usually I do it at a canter.