The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Is this color combination possible? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/color-combination-possible-80866/)

butterflysparkles 03-13-2011 02:47 PM

Is this color combination possible?

Is it possible for a horse or pony to be brown and have a black star? Just curious. If you have one or know of one, PLEASE post pics!:-)

drafteventer 03-13-2011 02:48 PM

I don't think it's possible.

lildonkey8 03-13-2011 02:49 PM

well, I just checked "google images" and there were none so....

butterflysparkles 03-13-2011 03:08 PM

I didn't think so, but I though it was worth seeing if there was. Thank you!

Fluffy Pony 03-13-2011 03:15 PM

The only way I would think a horse could have a darker star or snip is that its a blood mark. But those can happen anywhere on the body.
Posted via Mobile Device

NdAppy 03-13-2011 04:17 PM

You can have mismarks, somatic mutations, etc. Would it be possible to get a picture of the horse in question or was this just a hypothetical question?

Fluffy Pony - Blood marks only show on greys.

Fluffy Pony 03-13-2011 09:08 PM

Who said its not only on greys? lol....

NdAppy 03-13-2011 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fluffy Pony (Post 961162)
Who said its not only on greys? lol....

You said this -
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fluffy Pony (Post 960877)
The only way I would think a horse could have a darker star or snip is that its a blood mark. But those can happen anywhere on the body.
Posted via Mobile Device

The OP asked if it was possible on a brown horse. You did not specify greys in your post. I was pointing out that bloody shoulders (blood marks) show after a horse stars to grey as the area of bloody shoulder is not affected by grey and does not grey out.

Miss Meghana 03-21-2011 09:26 PM

Not as what we would call a star, no. Unless there was a strange mutation. On some grays it may seem as if there are dark facial markings, but those are actually just dapples, and will fade over time.

Sorry. Not a great answer, but I've never heard of anything like it, and I'm not entirely sure why it couldn't happen (I'll look into it, though), but am sure I've never heard of it. Again, I apologize. :-(

equiniphile 03-21-2011 09:44 PM

A facial marking is always a white marking, unless it's roaning (which is very rare to be on the face) or a pinto marking, where the horse has a mulit-colored face, but that is not considered a star.