The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Artwork (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/)
-   -   mare and foal (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/mare-foal-80871/)

3neighs 03-13-2011 04:14 PM

mare and foal

1 Attachment(s)
The few drawings I've posted in this forum have been non-horse ones so I've finally done a horse one! Any comments/critiques welcomed. :)

Attachment 58031

crumbcakengaligator 03-13-2011 04:50 PM

This is REALLY good wow.
You've got some talent! :)

The only thing I see is that the horse on the left's head looks a little out of proportion.
But im really picky, so it could just be me.

Either way your really good.

csimkunas6 03-13-2011 05:27 PM

Ive seen a picture very similar to this.....I think it looks great!! Nice job!

3neighs 03-13-2011 05:37 PM

Thanks to both of you!

Quote:

The only thing I see is that the horse on the left's head looks a little out of proportion.
How so, do you think the muzzle is too small?

Quote:

Ive seen a picture very similar to this..
Yes, the reference photo I used was found while browsing Photobucket. In the photo they had halters on, though. I wasn't brave enough to try those. :)

crumbcakengaligator 03-13-2011 05:46 PM

Yeah, kind of.
His nose / muzzle seems too small compared to the size of the cheekbone.

Compared to the cheekbone, the muzzle seems it should be a little thicker.

But YOUR WELCOME. :)

3neighs 03-13-2011 09:13 PM

I appreciate the input. :)

BluntHayBail 03-17-2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3neighs (Post 960914)
The few drawings I've posted in this forum have been non-horse ones so I've finally done a horse one! Any comments/critiques welcomed. :)

Attachment 58031

I love your shading and details. Those horses have such definition. It kind of reminds me of some of Joe Andoe's recent paintings. : D
http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr....LSjlYh8ECcw%3D

Creampuff 03-17-2011 03:50 PM

The only "proportional mishap" with the mare that I see is that her neck seems really thin. But, in the same respects, there are also horses with necks that look as that. (There's a young filly posted for sale here that has an oddly thin neck.)

Otherwise, I find it unbearably adorable! <3 I especially appreciate your attention to detail; hinting to fur texture without over-doing it.

3neighs 03-17-2011 04:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I love your shading and details. Those horses have such definition. It kind of reminds me of some of Joe Andoe's recent paintings. : D
Thanks! I've not heard of him, but I like his work! :)

Thanks Creampuff! You could be right about the neck. I'll post the reference photo so you can see where I was coming from. I appreciate the input because horses are very difficult for me and I'm always looking for ways to improve.

Attachment 58401

Creampuff 03-17-2011 04:40 PM

Well if you would like, you can PM me for critique whenever you would like. I also have access to a plethora of tutorials and other resources (including free-to-use stock images of horses) that I can refer you to. I'll be more than happy to help!