The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Show me your barn plans!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/show-me-your-barn-plans-80945/)

myhorsesonador 03-14-2011 02:02 PM

Show me your barn plans!!!

1 Attachment(s)
ok so I thought it would be fun to share our barn plans, or our dream barn!

I know it's ruff but it's just for fun. :P

for stalls I really like this places stall fronts! There wood is of excelent quality. what do you think about the price??? I will be building a barn in the next few years or less so I really would like your oppinions. :)

Horse Barn Accessories

Oh and on the picture of the stall front they have a window in the stall. I really like the idea for lighting and extra air on hot days but is it safe??? I would be afraid that if my mare went loony (never has before but that doesnt mean any thing) that she could get a foot through it. I relly don't want to be picking glass shards out of her legs.

Alright show me yours!! You could even show me how you want you farm to be layed out!

myhorsesonador 03-14-2011 02:08 PM

agg my pic is to small!!! YAY for Photo bucket!

also The tack and feed room will be insulated for widow air units. If gets way to hummid in florida to be with out them.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...ire/MyBarn.png

NoHorse 03-14-2011 02:55 PM

I don't think the window would be a problem. I think your mare would have to try to get a hoof through there.

I really like those stall fronts. The swingy bar part is smart.
As far as the price, I think it's just a little steep. $3300 for three stalls... not that would know the average price for a stall front. :-)

Have you planned the rest of the barn? That's my favorite part. :lol:
Are you planning on having solid partitions between the stalls?
Will the stalls be slightly sunken? (I know at the barn where I do stalls, it would be a huge pain with all the sawdust coming out from under the door all the time if they weren't lower than the aisle.)
Speaking of aisles, how wide?
Any special flooring (ie rubber bricks) to go over the cement floor?
Automatic or manual waterers?

I'm kind of pressed for time right now but good luck on your barn! :D

myhorsesonador 03-15-2011 02:06 AM

I don't think the window would be a problem. I think your mare would have to try to get a hoof through there.

I really like those stall fronts. The swingy bar part is smart.
As far as the price, I think it's just a little steep. $3300 for three stalls... not that would know the average price for a stall front. :-)

There wood is saposed to be treated so it would never wrot. With the humidity here I think it's a good option. Price wise I'm still looking into what the wood would cost. I think you can just get the metal.

Have you planned the rest of the barn? That's my favorite part. :lol:

Are you planning on having solid partitions between the stalls?
Still trying to decide. I think when I breed Sonador I'll be building a diffrent barn just for her.

Will the stalls be slightly sunken? (I know at the barn where I do stalls, it would be a huge pain with all the sawdust coming out from under the door all the time if they weren't lower than the aisle.)
Yes

Speaking of aisles, how wide?
12 ft

Any special flooring (ie rubber bricks) to go over the cement floor?
Well I have thought about it, but with all the sand and moister I can just see it turning into a sluggy slippy fest.

Automatic or manual waterers?
100% Automatic!!

Oh and there will be fans in the stalls.

I'm kind of pressed for time right now but good luck on your barn! :D

haleylvsshammy 03-15-2011 07:56 PM

I wouldn't put cement in the barn aisle. I know barns that have cement and it is VERY slippery for the horses. It's nerve wracking because you have to walk very slowly and make sure that there is enough space for wide turns. So I'd either do a dirt walkway or rubber mats over the cement aisle.

myhorsesonador 03-16-2011 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haleylvsshammy (Post 963636)
I wouldn't put cement in the barn aisle. I know barns that have cement and it is VERY slippery for the horses. It's nerve wracking because you have to walk very slowly and make sure that there is enough space for wide turns. So I'd either do a dirt walkway or rubber mats over the cement aisle.

I've worked with cement aisle for years and never had a problem at all. Are you sure it was cement??? there was some kind of crap that they used out side of one of the equestrian centers near by that was slicker a fresh loobed baby butt.

Poseidon 03-16-2011 01:56 AM

A note about the windows: You could just put bars on them. The windows in the stalls at my barn are just barred. Maybe just leave a bit of room at the bottom so it can be locked/unlocked and slid up and down?

And most horses like it when they can see the horses next to them, since they are such social animals, so I would use side walls that have bars too like the front. Then they can see who is next to them as well as who is in front.

haleylvsshammy 03-16-2011 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhorsesonador (Post 964048)
I've worked with cement aisle for years and never had a problem at all. Are you sure it was cement??? there was some kind of crap that they used out side of one of the equestrian centers near by that was slicker a fresh loobed baby butt.

Maybe all of the horses I know are clutzes! Haha Well if you're sure that your horses can navigate it, then go for it!

zurmdahl 03-16-2011 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhorsesonador (Post 964048)

At a barn I use to board at I know for sure that their floors were cement under rubber mats and they got SO slippery it was ridiculous, and really scary. It could have been the rubber mats over it though that caused that to happen though I suppouse

Hidalgo13 03-16-2011 07:17 PM

My barn has cement floors, but rubber mats at key places. (at the showers and at most cross ties)... never experienced slipperiness before though. :/