The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   My Horse Likes To Pull And Wont Do What He's Told =[ (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/my-horse-likes-pull-wont-do-810/)

Razzy 02-22-2007 04:49 PM

My Horse Likes To Pull And Wont Do What He's Told =[

He's 8 years old and he's very forward going, when you ask him to trot he won't slow down and then tries to canter and as soon as he does it's really hard to get him to walk again :/ Any Ideas on what to do? Please Help xP

barnrat 02-22-2007 09:16 PM

You need to really sit hard in the saddle, you may be leaning to far forward and that is a que to the horse to speed up. You could also try one rein turning when he speeds up into a different gait that you dont want him to do.

Raini 02-22-2007 09:38 PM

Make sure he stops fine from the walk first. I'd do lots of transitions with him from walk to trot to stop and so on. Get him sensitive to what your asking. Also remember to relax and breathe. Let him know your relaxed and he'll relax. Practice the one rein stop. Never ever rip on his mouth. make sure you are always soft with your hands. Also circles. Circle him around something. Horses that are forward don't need to go straight, they need circles and such. Make circles around the mounting block or just something that he can focus on. As soon as he starts to relax let him slow down and go straight. Good luck!

3days3ways 02-23-2007 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barnrat
You need to really sit hard in the saddle, you may be leaning to far forward and that is a que to the horse to speed up...

although the second part is true, i don't believe sitting hard/deep in the saddle will help. try and imagine 'lifting' the horse with your seat and staying light. if you sit deep he your horse can interpret that as driving him forward.

also, work with lots of circles and a lot of squeeze and release... make sure that there is a reward if he does slow down, even if it is just from a crazy trot to a semi crazy trot

good luck!

Softtrainer 03-01-2007 04:55 PM

The goal here is to get your horse to respond to your rein cue, which is obviously not doing! lol

What you shoudl try and work on is to lighten him up at a stand still, then a walk. At a stand still, apply pressure to the reins to get him to back. The moment he takes a step, release the pressure. Do the same thing from a walk to a halt. The moment he stops release pressure.

You want him to understand that the moment he responds to you, he gets rewarded by removing the pressure that you are applying.
Yes, you do want to sit in your saddle, but not back. If you are sitting forward, you are applying forward "pressure" encouraging him to walk/trot faster. If you sit deeper in your saddle, you are encouraging him to slow down a bit.

Try being as light as you can on him, and increase your pressure when you get 0 results. Some horses have hard mouths and its harder for them to respond as quickly because they are so used to harsh pressure.

Hope this helps! p.s. circles and patterns are a great way to get his attention/make him think and also to cut down some of the speed.

kristy 03-01-2007 07:00 PM

I think 'deep seat' maybe getting confused with a half seat or braced back/driving seat. Whenever riding, a rider should also adopted a balanced and deep seat.

crackrider 03-01-2007 09:24 PM

i used to ride a horse that bolted randomly sometimes. To make it worse he had a really hard mouth from a previous owner. To stop him i would have to turn him in increasingly smaller circles until he'd stop. After a while he would stop as soon as i said 'whoa' because he didn't want to run around in circles! He still bolted on occaision but i just turned him and he stopped.

crackrider 03-01-2007 09:28 PM

Also, what type of bit do you use? Maybe you should try a few different types of bit and see if he responds better to one.

mokinho 03-01-2007 09:48 PM

let him run till he tires

I would let him run till he tires out.

In other words let him go as long as he wants to go and then when he stops by himself with out action from you walk him around the arena while your in the saddle. When he regains his breath start working him for just a little bit by ask him to trot. When he trots do one round around or two if you can get him too and then stop and tell him he's a good boy take him out of the arena cool him down and brush him down and put him in the stall.

Is this happening in the arena or out on the trail???????

Desert Rat 03-02-2007 05:52 PM

Mokinho has the right idea. If he wants to run run him till he wants to stop then run him somemore. A few times like this he will be glad to stop.