The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Wear a helmet? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/wear-helmet-81041/)

JJackson 03-15-2011 11:37 AM

Wear a helmet?

Do you wear a helmet when riding? If so, what helmet would you recommend for CASUAL riding (no showing obviously)?

cher40 03-15-2011 12:59 PM

I didn't used to when I was a teen and in my twenties but now I do as an older rider. My helmut is at the barn so i don't know the brand off hand. I would say 90% of the riders at my barn wear a helmut. Where we trail ride it's an old fire area, so there are lots of stumps and logs. Any fall could land you on one of them. Glad to hear you are being careful.

SEAmom 03-15-2011 01:01 PM

I haven't ridden a helmet for pleasure riding since I was 13. My daughter wears one every time, though. I got her a troxel helmet.
Posted via Mobile Device

CJ82Sky 03-15-2011 01:05 PM

LOVE my tipperary. affordable, great skull and base of neck protection, lightweight, and well ventilated. :)

Speed Racer 03-15-2011 01:05 PM

Tipperary. Excellent helmets, and they're light and have a nice, streamlined look to them.

My next helmet will be a Tipperary. I have an Aegis now. Good helmet too, but I like the looks of the Tipperary better.

gypsygirl 03-15-2011 01:06 PM

i nearly always wear a helmet, and when i dont i know im being stupid. i would be dead now if i hadnt been wearing a helmet one day.

i really like my tipperary as well !

Alwaysbehind 03-15-2011 01:08 PM

I pretty much always wear my helmet.

My husband is a casual rider and he finds his troxel to be very comfortable and the price was very reasonable.

tinyliny 03-15-2011 01:19 PM

I always wear a helmet! Well, almost always. Case in point, the ONE time in recent years that I did not have a helmet on , my friend's horse bucked me off! Fortunately, I landed softly on very soft ground, but I dont' trust luck to repeat itself.

Tipperary!!! I have used Troxels too, but Tipperary is much more comfortable. I dont' even feel I have it on.

I have said this before on other helmet threads, my experience with these two brands is that the Troxel fits people who have more round shaped heads, and the Tipperary fits those with more elongated ,oval, heads . But, this is just an impression of mine.

Love my Tipperary. I never feel it is an imposition to wear it. I feel like it cuddles me!

crimsonsky 03-15-2011 01:29 PM

i'm with a few other people who have responded already - i love my tipperary.

this is the one i have - good price and great comfort. any other helmet i've tried/owned would bobble around but this one doesn't. :)

iridehorses 03-15-2011 01:34 PM

I hadn't worn a helmet in over 15 years but due to a recent surgery and my Dr. advise, I bought a Tipperary and wore it for the first time on Sunday. After a while, I forgot I had it on.