The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Hurray for awesome owners! (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/hurray-awesome-owners-81044/)

NoHorse 03-15-2011 01:03 PM

Hurray for awesome owners!

I work at a 20-something-stall barn where I muck four stalls. The turnout is very poor (half the size of a postage stamp, zero forage- not even weeds-, pretty muddy, bad fencing) so the horses go out about once a day for 30 minutes, maybe an hour, to get some energy out and to get some air. That means my four stalls are dirtied up for about 22 hours a day (including riding time). So, it takes about 20-30 minutes for me to do one stall, longer if it's a Monday, because I get Sunday off.

Okay, so about awesome owners: the owner of one of the horses whose stall I muck had done the stall for me! On a Monday!! All I had to do was pick up some of what she missed in the corners and I put in two loads of sawdust as a thanks. She, apparently, had the day off or something because she had just seen the stall dirty and decided to clean it up for the heck of it. Then she rode, hand-grazed for an hour (!!), and groomed her horse (a very pretty but old bright-red chestnut gelding with a wide blaze). I hardly ever see owners doing things like that; most of the boarders are teenagers or mother/young daughter pairs with which it's really only the daughter who is there.

It's so refreshing to see someone care for their horse (riding and buying new tack do not count as care in my book) and go out of their way to do things for the horse and for other people. :D Happy rant over.

AlexS 03-15-2011 04:47 PM

Horrah! Isn't it a shame that more people are not like that. When my horse had a stall I would muck it out every day and change his water, and I was paying for full board. I see no reason why I can't spend time with my horse while helping someone else out.

SMCLeenie 03-16-2011 06:20 PM

I know how you feel! I used to work mucking out stalls, cleaning the barn ect, it can really make your day when someone helps you out like that.

starlinestables 03-16-2011 11:00 PM

I love it when they do that!!

Hunter65 03-21-2011 10:06 AM

I will often clean Hunters stall when I am there. Gives him good patience practice in the cross ties. He is such a messy boy I feel bad that his stall is such a mess. Wish he would poop in his paddock and not the stall.

Poseidon 03-23-2011 01:09 AM

I loveee when one lady at my barn cleans her gelding's stall on Friday or Saturday night (I do chores on Saturday and Sunday mornings). He is the filthiest horse I have ever met. His stall has to be all but stripped every day because he does all his business right in the middle, then stomps all over it and lays in it, etc.

When she cleans it the night before, it's SO much better the next day. On the other hand, she's got a mare too who's stall looks like it hasn't been lived it other than the small pile in the back. Her bedding is still fluffy and clean every day. It's like black and white between the two horses. Insane.

Hunter65 03-23-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poseidon (Post 972082)
I loveee when one lady at my barn cleans her gelding's stall on Friday or Saturday night (I do chores on Saturday and Sunday mornings). He is the filthiest horse I have ever met. His stall has to be all but stripped every day because he does all his business right in the middle, then stomps all over it and lays in it, etc.

When she cleans it the night before, it's SO much better the next day. On the other hand, she's got a mare too who's stall looks like it hasn't been lived it other than the small pile in the back. Her bedding is still fluffy and clean every day. It's like black and white between the two horses. Insane.

Thats Hunter exactly, has to poop in the middle and walk through it all day, I feel so bad that I try and clean most of it whenever I am there.