The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Colt not growing a month after weaning? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/colt-not-growing-month-after-weaning-81126/)

trailhorserider 03-16-2011 01:03 AM

Colt not growing a month after weaning?

I mentioned this in someone else's post in the breeding section, but I thought perhaps I should start my own thread instead of hijacking theirs.

I weaned my colt at 7 months of age. He is 8 months old now. Before he was weaned, he grew like a weed. He is about 13 hands tall and 620 lbs. But in the month since he was weaned, he has not gained ANY weight at all. I am not sure about height since I don't measure his height very often. But I do use the weight tape on him at least once a week.

I figured at first it was weaning stress and he would rebound. But it's been a month. He is up-to-date on deworming and seems very healthy and energetic otherwise. He is not loosing weight and you can't see (or really even feel) any ribs. It's just that he has been sitting at 620 since he was weaned a month ago.

Is that normal? He eats the same feed he did before he was weaned. The only thing missing is his mother's milk.

He gets a generous portion of 50/50 alfalfa/bermuda hay (enough to where he always has some to munch on and never runs out of at least the bermuda portion of his hay) and he also gets 2lbs of Purina Ultium Growth. I know the label would have me feeding him wayyyy more than that, but most people I know don't even feed their young horses grain at all, so I doubt it is that.

So if he looks and acts healthy, is he okay, or should he be growing again a month after weaning?

luvs2ride1979 03-16-2011 09:17 AM

He's not getting enough nutrition. If you don't want to feed him much grain, then you need to either supplement him with a vit/min supplement like SmartPak's SmartVite Maintenance Grass or Vita-Key's Mare & Foal. Or you can switch his feed to a ration balancer, which you feed at the rate of just 1-2 lbs daily for full nutrition. Buckeye's Grow-n-Win is a good one for young horses. Progressive makes one called ProAdd Ultimate that you can buy online.

No, you don't need to feed your baby grain, but without good pasture grazing, he's missing a lot of key nutrition. You need to make up for that some how. The healthier option is using a supplement like any of the above. I prefer using more hay and concentrated supplements over high quantities of grains or pellets. It's better for the horse's gut and long-term health.

DunOverIt 03-16-2011 09:30 AM

I'd check his height more often. Weanlings grow in weird phases. They'll shoot UP.. then expand out.. etc.

If he isn't thin and he's eating well, monitor it closely but don't fret.

Did you do a well baby at weaning? If not I'd highly recommend a well baby check up.

CJ82Sky 03-16-2011 02:53 PM

my qh is similar - he will grow a ton then stop, then more, then stop for what seems like months. then he'll shoot up another few inches. growth can vary by horse so i'd make sure that you can have him on the right grains and nutritions for his growth needs (higher protein, etc.).

Xela 03-17-2011 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvs2ride1979 (Post 964298)
He's not getting enough nutrition. If you don't want to feed him much grain, then you need to either supplement him with a vit/min supplement like SmartPak's SmartVite Maintenance Grass or Vita-Key's Mare & Foal. Or you can switch his feed to a ration balancer, which you feed at the rate of just 1-2 lbs daily for full nutrition. Buckeye's Grow-n-Win is a good one for young horses. Progressive makes one called ProAdd Ultimate that you can buy online.

No, you don't need to feed your baby grain, but without good pasture grazing, he's missing a lot of key nutrition. You need to make up for that some how. The healthier option is using a supplement like any of the above. I prefer using more hay and concentrated supplements over high quantities of grains or pellets. It's better for the horse's gut and long-term health.

Huge ditto! Either feed to the directions on the bag or switch to something that doesn't need to be fed at such high rates so like a ration balancer or just add a GOOD vitamin/mineral supplement..

crimsonsky 03-17-2011 02:18 PM

i'd take a look at what he's actually getting (nutrition wise) if you're not feeding the recommended daily ration of the Ultium. if you don't want to give that much grain (i think their packaging says 1lb for every 100lbs of expected weight at maturity), then look into some of the supplements or ration balancers as others have mentioned.

good luck! :)

DunOverIt 03-17-2011 02:19 PM

I still think she should have a well baby done. And vet consultation on diet and nutrition.

crimsonsky 03-17-2011 02:39 PM

also - if your signature line info is correct and you're in arizona, you may want to look into LMF feeds as they're formulated for the west coast and the different minerals/nutrients that are found in the ground/forage in this part of the country.

just a thought. :)

LMF Development

crimsonsky 03-17-2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DunOverIt (Post 966004)
I still think she should have a well baby done. And vet consultation on diet and nutrition.

sorry - yes that for sure! :D

DunOverIt 03-17-2011 02:50 PM

:)

I don't know what's common practice for everyone. As this board is SO diverse. But I always thought you did your well babies at a day old then a month after weaning. But if it's not their normal practice, then either way she's getting great advice.