The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   I just couldnt be more proud....... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/i-just-couldnt-more-proud-81127/)

mystikal222 03-16-2011 01:05 AM

I just couldnt be more proud.......

I just have to brag!!!! My 3yo gelding has better manners and is more respectful and patient than any of the other 36 adult horses at my barn! Ive worked with my trainer breaking him from a yearling and though Im proud of what we have accomplished under saddle,its his ground manners that stun me.When its time for the horses to come in (I also work at my barn) and eat,I get drug,pushed,and every other manner of crap put to me by the other boarders horses.When its time for Salem to come in,I just open the gate and click once for walk,he steps out and when hes clear of the gate I say "ho" and he just stops and stands there waiting for me to lock up.As soon as I walk up beside him and get to his shoulder,I click and he begins walking beside me.We go down the isle and he never gets ahead or wanders away (this is with no halter or lead),if I slow,he slows to match me.If I stop,he stops,even right outside his stall knowing his grain is in there waiting for him,he wont go in until I tell him he can.And ppl wonder why Im so obsessed with my horse lol:D

tinyliny 03-16-2011 01:14 AM

that is amazing! All from clicker training. do you have to periodically reinforce it with sporadic treat rewards?

mystikal222 03-16-2011 01:24 AM

Oh,lol I should have been more clear.Not clicker like the device,just the verbal noise.We spent a poop ton of time on the lungline so he will follow verbal cues like a zombie (one click for walk,two for trot,kiss for canter etc.).And what I learned right away is to NEVER give Salem treats by hand.Being a baby he already thinks the whole world belongs in his mouth and being his social self always wants to be in everyones business for some loven so treats go in his feeder and when I want to reward him,its either by giving him a break,a nice quick neck scratch or pat or letting him be done working :)

Dusty1228 03-16-2011 01:47 AM

That is WONDERFUL! I was just thinking how proud I was of my ding dong earlier because he FINALLY understood the 'one click:two click' difference!

Can I ask what might seem like a silly question...? I'm gonna do it anyway!

How do you back him up? Can you do it without standing in front of him? I am, in all honesty, DYING to know.

Again, congratulations! And I don't blame you a bit for being obsessed with your horse, and dang proud, too!

mystikal222 03-16-2011 01:53 AM

We are working on that.As of right now,the most effective way to back him is to move into his space from the front.But on the lungline and under saddle Im working on him backing from just my verbal command,its a work in progress :)

Dusty1228 03-16-2011 01:58 AM

I gotcha. I was just wondering because I saw a girl who used her breathing, I swear it's true, and she was on his back. I was in awe.

I have no doubt, from what you are saying that it shouldn't take long for you guys.

I must congratulate again!:clap:

mystikal222 03-16-2011 02:23 AM

Thank you very much :) And I can totaly see someone teaching their horse a command with a breathing cue! (oh geeez now my mind is going "heeeeyyyy, WE could try that......).They are so incredibly sensitive to our weight,posture,position....I love those kinds of techniques.The less communication you SEE between horse and rider,the more beautiful it is to me

Dusty1228 03-16-2011 12:17 PM

You're welcome!
I knowwwww, as soon as I saw what the girl was doing, I was like, oh... hmmm... Looking at my horse, then back to her, then back to him... I wonder... :) :)
I agree totally about the less visible communication between horse and rider. I am a huuuuge Stacy Westfall fan, I could watch her youtube videos all day and never be bored, lol.
I, too love these techniques and I can only hope to make enough progress to try some new ones out this spring!