The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Selling your saddle safely (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/selling-your-saddle-safely-81185/)

Lonannuniel 03-16-2011 06:01 PM

Selling your saddle safely

I am selling a saddle of mine, and I just had a few questions:

1. How do you go about letting your saddle go on a testing period? You surely can't take credit card numbers like the tack stores can you? Should you write up an " I am taking this saddle for a test, and will return it by [date]" contract? How do you prevent your saddle from being taken on a test and never returned?

2. Selling online / on your own vs. at a tack store - pros and cons? I would think the tack store is safer, and your saddle would get more looks because it can be seen in person, felt, sat on, etc. although, selling yourself would probably bring in more money, as the tack store needs some sort of commission, right?

3. How does shipping out of area work? Is it more costly to ship back and forth to each person who wants to take it for a test?

Any other comments and advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

MissH 03-16-2011 06:20 PM

When I bought my saddle, the seller and I had a great arrangement. I went out to her farm and picked it up, and gave her a post-dated cheque for the full amount. The cheque was dated for a week later - which is a decent trial period. We stayed in touch through the duration of the test period, and when I decided on the 6th day that I was keeping it I went ahead and told her she could cash it whenever she wanted. Barring everyone in the situation is remotely trustworthy, this is best case scenario. She has a cheque, I didn't have to go back to the farm to pay her, I still got to try the saddle, and so on.

Not sure if this is at all helpful - just speaking from experience. Best of luck for sure!!

Cobalt 03-16-2011 07:41 PM

I have had great success selling saddles on ebay. You reach a wide audience and you can sell as "no returns" easily. You can also set reserve price. Just keep in mind that there are fees for that and fees for paypal, etc. so include that in figuring your bottom price.

I bought an english saddle via Craigslist about a year ago. The lady lived about 3 hours from me so it wasn't convenient to go pick up the saddle. I sent her 2 post dated checks. One to cover shipping and one for the saddle. I rode in the saddle, decided to keep it, and told her to keep the check. She emailed me a contract stating that if the saddle were damaged, etc in my possession that I would not be getting my check back. Signed it and sent it with the checks. Turned out to be an easy transaction. Of course there is a leap of faith on both ends. I had to trust her to mail me the saddle and she had to trust that my check was good!

The problem with tack stores is that it's not usually a quick way to sell. If you have time then that route is good and it's hassle free for you.

Another option is to take it to local tack swaps/barnyard sales. I LOVE shopping at those and around here, they are very well attended.

Good luck!

QHDragon 03-16-2011 08:46 PM

I have never done a trail, and I would never do it unless it were locally really, just too risky. However, I also recently got conned out of a saddle via eBay so I am a little jaded.

Generally speaking tack stores are going to take a much higher cut of the profits than eBay. Which means in order to get what you want out of the saddle you may have to price much higher than the normal person would want to pay.

reachthestars 03-17-2011 01:31 AM

I always seem to sell my saddles on trial... the deal is, they pay with postdated cheque or cash, and they have 7 days to try the saddle out. If it doesn't fit, get it back to me within that time. I've never had any issues, and have some very positive transactions :D.

Chele11 03-17-2011 03:28 AM

The saddle I currently have in my possession is on a trial. I put an ad on Craigslist looking for one - after doing my own searching - and a guy "near" me offered his on trial (no money exchanged at all, but I live in a small town) for 2 wks. However. I think my case is different mainly bc of the kind of area in which I live - people tend to be more trusting.

I asked every single person who lived further than a 30 minute drive from me if they would be willing to do a trial and each of them said no. I refused to buy a saddle I couldn't try. Good thing, bc my mare requires an extra extra wide gullet and they are very difficult to find!

Lonannuniel 03-17-2011 10:55 AM

thank you for the advice! I like the post dated cheque idea, this is the first time I've heard of it!