The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   What color are your horses this year? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/what-color-your-horses-year-81189/)

Whitney13 03-16-2011 05:32 PM

What color are your horses this year?

Every year my horses shed out a different color. One year they are jet black the next they are dappled brown. I know it has to do with sun exposure, diet, and all those good things but I still find it quite interesting to see what color my horse is as he sheds his winter coat. I know palominos and grays change color a lot from year to year depending on the horse. I was wondering if anyone would like to share about their color changing horses. Pictures are welcome. :-)

Poseidon 03-16-2011 06:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Normally right now: Abby is still very obviously a buckskin covered with dapples.

Yesterday? She had been lying in the mud/poo mess that is her paddock. She gave herself shoulder barring, probably zebra barring and was a darker, duller coat colour. Dun. She made herself into a dun. (Too bad I forgot to take a picture)

THEN! I brushed most of that off, lunged her. She got all sweaty and rolled..in dry dirt. It stuck and she became this sooty buckskin/almost gray colour..

Disclaimer: She's a terribly unphotogenic horse and just looks ugly in most of them. The first picture is her normally. The second is after rolling.

Whitney13 03-16-2011 10:30 PM

She is a cute horse even with all the mud. My horse Dixie does this too. She goes from black or dark brown to a very light grey or hay color depending on if she rolls in the mud or the hay. My personal favorite is grey with hay colored flecks. :lol:

Deerly 03-22-2011 02:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Brown D: :lol:

dee 03-22-2011 09:06 AM

In her winter coat this year, Dancer looks kind of like a sooty buckskin, but in her summer colors, she's grulla (avatar). Last winter, her winter coat was really light, almost white, which really made her look weird with her black legs, mane, tail and ears!

BackInTheSaddleAgain 03-22-2011 09:23 AM

One of my shetlands roaned out a LOT. It really surprised me. Her mom? Not at all.

Jessabel 03-22-2011 10:46 AM

My Victor is plain 'ole brown and black. Always will be. Although he turns several different shades of brown, depending on the variety of mud or dirt he rolls in. And Norman is orange. Y'know, like a pumpkin. He's been getting more and more white hairs as time goes by, kind of like what you see on some Belgians. Kind of hard to tell, since he looks like a woolly mammoth right now. I miss their shiny summer coats. :'(

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/...Picture514.jpg

Shananigan 03-22-2011 02:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Dandy -- my flea-bitten Grey mare (avatar) is white in the summer, and red / blonde in the winter from rolling in the mud!!! (we have a reddish clay dirt).

1st pic: Dandy white
Attachment 58939
2nd pic: Dandy brown **Note her withers and neck look TERRIBLE in this picture :shock: I was hesitant to even post it! lol She was out of shape and my camera angle plus the way she is holding her head, baaadd!
Attachment 58940

I was gonna post pictures of Sasha --she was born chestnut and each summer has been shedding out lighter and lighter, but they won't load!:-| You can see the pics on her profile though if you like. :-)

Cute horses! I was gonna single everyone out, but it's the same for all the pictures so far! haha

Poseidon 03-22-2011 09:05 PM

Haha. If you hadn't written that disclaimer about the withers, I would have said, "Holy sharkfin, Batman!"

Shananigan 03-26-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Haha. If you hadn't written that disclaimer about the withers, I would have said, "Holy sharkfin, Batman!"
Which would have been the PERFECT reply!!! Hahahaha :lol: