The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Ever have trouble mounting at a block? (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/ever-have-trouble-mounting-block-81199/)

tinyliny 03-16-2011 08:55 PM

Ever have trouble mounting at a block?

Hi ,

I finally had a friend help me make a video to show a technique that I have used innumerable times to get my horse to line up properlay at a mounting block, without me ever getting off the block. It helps a lot when you are out on the trail and need to get on your horse from a log or such.

(I am dismayed to see what a spare tire I have, but try to ignore!)

tinyliny 03-17-2011 01:09 AM

bump if you please

Kaibear 03-17-2011 01:34 AM

Hot dang I'm gonna have to try that now! Although I'm sure the results won't be nearly as good. Thanks for posting that! Nice to see you and Mac in person too :)

Wallaby 03-17-2011 01:52 AM

That's brilliant!!
I can never get Lacey lined up with things when I need to get on her on the trail and such (thank the Lord that she's short! Haha) but now I have a really good idea of what to do to teach her to line up with things! That's just great. Thanks for posting!

tinyliny 03-17-2011 02:20 AM

You don't know how many times I see people lining the mounting block up to the horse all tidy like, then, just as they are about to mount, the horse moves, so they start all over; lining up the block to the horse instead of the horse to the block.

Or, they get on the mounting block, edge the horse up and when the horse goes too far, they hop back off the block, walk the horse around and start again.
Stay on the block, bring the horse to you!

When my trainer first showed me, I couldn't believe it was possible to do all that repositioning with ONE rein, and never change. But, it works.
To teach Mac to siddle over to the block , because you may get him all lined up and he shifts his hiney out, I used a dressage whip and reached over him to just tap tap annoyingly on the outer side of the cantle (as far as I could reach) until he moved in any way toward me. Release. Again, and on and on. I used the command, "over!" and now , all I have to do is stand there and kind ove wave my hand in a circular motion, and say "over!" , and Mac siddles over. He is a smart horse!

christopher 03-17-2011 06:45 AM

what if your horse puts you on the offside? do you keep a hold of what was the inside, but is now the outside rein?

also, for those who don't have their own successful strategies, can this be transferred directly to riding? in that if you mount from the mounting block successfully, but after that the horse goes unasked, could you keep him going in the same tight little circle around the mounting block that you would be doing from the ground if you held the inside rein?

tinyliny 03-17-2011 01:57 PM

mounting training from ground vs block

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher (Post 965618)
what if your horse puts you on the offside? do you keep a hold of what was the inside, but is now the outside rein?

Yes, the rein never changes, so if your horse circles around the mounting block it may become the outside rein . You can either let him circle around and change YOUR hands as he goes around, or did what I did and stop him, turn him and send him back around the other way, stop, turn again and he will be in the necessary orientation to be brought forward to the block.

also, for those who don't have their own successful strategies, can this be transferred directly to riding? in that if you mount from the mounting block successfully, but after that the horse goes unasked, could you keep him going in the same tight little circle around the mounting block that you would be doing from the ground if you held the inside rein?

I don't think having the horse circle around the mounting block in the Negative reinforcement strategy that you are talking about would be such a good idea. You mean, the "if you won't stand still I will make you move until you are glad to stand still" thinking, right? That would work better from the ground, but for me, who cannot mount from the ground, I would be using the block, if the horse really wouldn't stand still and kept trying to go forward, I would get off the block and work in the cirlcly strategy your are talking about. I would prefer to have a halter and lead or a mecate for doing that , though. My rope reins are not long enough to allow me to do that very well.
The long and the short of that is that this "trick" is helpful for horses that know the basics of mounting but tend to avoid the block.

KawaiiCharlie 03-19-2011 05:29 PM

im gonna have to try that with lily, she /will not/ stand next to the mounting block, i lead her up to it and she rushes around it, and if i can get her to stand next to it, she move her butt away from me. soo annoying lol

would really help to teach her this too, because she was originally bought for her owners mum, as a disability horse because her mum has some problem with her leg so has to use the mounting block to get on, and obviously because lily is a butthead when it comes to using the mounting block, she hasnt been able to ride her.

KawaiiCharlie 03-19-2011 05:29 PM

oh, and forgot to say. Mac is beautiful :D

equiniphile 03-19-2011 08:13 PM

This is exactly what I do with Lenox, who has mounting issues, up until she's lined up and decides to move her middle away when I put my foot in the stirrup. Any tips?