The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Opinions on possible eventing prospect... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/opinions-possible-eventing-prospect-81221/)

Tabbi Kat 03-16-2011 10:22 PM

Opinions on possible eventing prospect...

I'm thinking of purchasing this colt as my eventing prospect. I would love to hear what everyone thinks. This video was taken a year ago and he is now two years old. He should finish at 16.2hh+.

YouTube - Rorschach Hextatic at Liberty

armydogs 03-17-2011 01:00 AM

I dont know anything about conformation or movement or anything like that. But, I did want to say he is absolutely beautiful!!!

Deerly 03-17-2011 03:01 AM

Do they have a more recent video / photos? It's hard to tell anything on a colt that young and he's probably changed dramatically since then

maura 03-17-2011 06:03 AM

I have some concerns based on that video.

Even trying to make allowances for the fact that he's a yearling and he's in a paddock with poor footing, at the trot he does not reach forward from the shoulder well, and does not step up under himself behind. He's a long way from tracking up at any gait. Also, he has exagerated movement in his hocks behind, moving the leg up rather than forward - what my old vet would call "knifey."

He is also *very* narrow, and stands base narrow if front. I'm not going to otherwise comment on his confo, because he's a yearling and much can change.

If I were looking for a two year event prospect, I would be looking for movement, length of stride, overall athleticism and good functional confo. I'd pay attention to the construction of the shoulder and front end as it related to jumping form.

This little guy does not scream event prospect to me.

kcscott85 03-17-2011 09:52 AM

Maura mirrored anything I was going to say, so I just wanted to say that she's right (because I'm always right, haha). I'm not in the eventing world anymore and haven't been since an accident 6 years ago; however, this horse does not look cut out for it at all, based on his gaits, way of moving, and conformation. His conformation could be completely different by now so if you haven't already, I would ask for an updated video.

Tabbi Kat 03-17-2011 10:00 AM

I am emailing her for an updated video of him and will share it as soon as I receive it.. I honestly appreciate your opinions. I am not new to the horse world but I am definitely new to the eventing world so my eye is not yet trained to see everything that I should in an eventing prospect.

crimsonsky 03-17-2011 02:09 PM

i don't think he's that bad of a horse. it doesn't help that the video is skewed/stretched higher/compressed in the side (idk the technical terms haha). hopefully recent videos will give you a more accurate picture of how he's built and moves.

what do you want to do with him eventing wise? how far do you want to go? those are things that will, imo, play a huge part in whatever horse you choose to buy.

Tabbi Kat 03-17-2011 03:00 PM

i'm not trying to go grand prix or anything and in all reality i will probably just ride in novice classes for quite a while but i would eventually like to be riding in intermediate classes. she said she will have new videos and photos to me in three days. lol she said to ignore the horrible hair cut because the clippers crapped out in the middle of clipping him.

maura 03-17-2011 05:30 PM

Here's my experience at the lower levels of eventing (folks who have competed more recently than I have, please chime in.)

At Training, Novice and below, the vast majority of competitors can jump the jumps. There are no terribly tricky combinations, "bogey" or "looky" fences and the time limits are not terribly tight. So 70% percent or so of your division gets around XC and stadium without penalty or minor time penalties. That means your placement in the ribbons depends heavily on your dressage score.

So if I were going out shopping for a young prospect to bring along, I would want one that's capable of doing well on the dressage phase. Eventing a horse at the lower levels that can't post a decent dressage score is kind of depressing, even if you're brilliant xc and stadium, you end up waiting for someone else to make a mistake so you can move up into the ribbons. It's not that winning is everything, there's a lot of joy in simply bringing a horse along to that level, but don't you want to start out on a level playing field with the other competitors?

So if you're going to put three years into a horse before competing him, why not start out with something with more raw potential to be successful?

If you just like this guy because you think he's appealling and you like his color, well, then, go ahead. He might very well make a nice all around local horse. However, he is not what I would consider an eventing prospect.

ETA: There is no "grand prix" in eventing. There is in dressage and show jumping, not eventing. After Advanced, you have the International levels, where events are rated by *s, one, two, three and 4* events. The Olympics are a 3 star, Badmintion and Rolex are 4 stars.

MyBoyPuck 03-17-2011 06:23 PM

His back legs almost stab at the ground at the trot and canter. Maybe he was in a growth spurt of something at the time of the video, be he does look hitchy back there.

Maura's said, at the lower levels, dressage wins the day.