The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   need a training schedule (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/need-training-schedule-81227/)

appylover2408 03-17-2011 12:51 AM

need a training schedule

hay i have a older horse that i haven't been able to work for sometime i need a lunging training schedule to get him back in shape along with any suggested muscle builders thank you :-)

Kayty 03-17-2011 08:49 AM

If he's an older horse I wouldn't start lunging him straight out. Hand walking up and down hills will greatly assist in getting his fitness up and strengthening his muscles and ligaments again.
Short walks out on bitumen surfaces are good as well for strengthening ligaments and tendons - but don't over do the work on hard surfaces as too much can cause injury particularly in an old or young horse.

From hand walking, I would start to do some in hand yielding exercises to start developing a little more flexibility and suppleness through his body. So start with yielding his hind quarters so that he is performing a turn on the forehand in hand. Then yield his shoulders to have him do a turn on the haunches. Small amounts of rein back, particularly up slight inclines are great for strengthening the back and hindquarters.

I would then start getting a saddle on him, and doing a few sessions a week of walking just like you did in hand. The walk must be forward and active to be of any benefit.
Continue walking and in hand exercises for at another 2 weeks before introducing the lunge. Small periods of trotting on a large lunge circle (preferable 20m or bigger), doing lots of walk - trot - walk - halt transitions. The same under saddle, keeping all of your work to straight lines and large, sweeping curves. No tight turns yet!

Gradually increase the amount of trot work you do, start to add more transitions under saddle and introduce small amounts of leg yield in walk and trot, and some large, 3 loop serpentines.

Don't introduce canter work too quickly, canter is strenuous so can cause injury if the horse is not conditioned particularly if he is an older horse. When you do introduce canter, start it on a nice wide 20m circle, canter 1 circle, trying to stay off his back in 2 point, and then back to trot. Just sprinkle your canters into you sessions with him a couple of times a week, and as with the trot, gradually built it up.

I wouldn't be doing a great deal of lunging with him. Lunging is a high impact exercise especially when conducted on a circle smaller than 20m. In an older horse, or a younger horse, this can cause serious injury to the soft tissue and bone structure of the legs and back.
Riding and hand walking is a much better way to build up fitness and strength :)

appylover2408 03-17-2011 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayty (Post 965706)
If he's an older horse I wouldn't start lunging him straight out. Hand walking up and down hills will greatly assist in getting his fitness up and strengthening his muscles and ligaments again.
Short walks out on bitumen surfaces are good as well for strengthening ligaments and tendons - but don't over do the work on hard surfaces as too much can cause injury particularly in an old or young horse.

From hand walking, I would start to do some in hand yielding exercises to start developing a little more flexibility and suppleness through his body. So start with yielding his hind quarters so that he is performing a turn on the forehand in hand. Then yield his shoulders to have him do a turn on the haunches. Small amounts of rein back, particularly up slight inclines are great for strengthening the back and hindquarters.

I would then start getting a saddle on him, and doing a few sessions a week of walking just like you did in hand. The walk must be forward and active to be of any benefit.
Continue walking and in hand exercises for at another 2 weeks before introducing the lunge. Small periods of trotting on a large lunge circle (preferable 20m or bigger), doing lots of walk - trot - walk - halt transitions. The same under saddle, keeping all of your work to straight lines and large, sweeping curves. No tight turns yet!

Gradually increase the amount of trot work you do, start to add more transitions under saddle and introduce small amounts of leg yield in walk and trot, and some large, 3 loop serpentines.

Don't introduce canter work too quickly, canter is strenuous so can cause injury if the horse is not conditioned particularly if he is an older horse. When you do introduce canter, start it on a nice wide 20m circle, canter 1 circle, trying to stay off his back in 2 point, and then back to trot. Just sprinkle your canters into you sessions with him a couple of times a week, and as with the trot, gradually built it up.

I wouldn't be doing a great deal of lunging with him. Lunging is a high impact exercise especially when conducted on a circle smaller than 20m. In an older horse, or a younger horse, this can cause serious injury to the soft tissue and bone structure of the legs and back.
Riding and hand walking is a much better way to build up fitness and strength :)

well im greatly aware of what not to do my horse has 24 hour turn out soo he has minum muscle from running and playing with freinds soo hes not siting in a stall and dwindling hes has enough room to walk on my lung line with out the circumference being to small. and trust me i know not to canter just yet i will give him plenty of time to get stable before that. i appreciate the advise but i think ill w8t a decent amount of time b4 a saddle iss put on i want him rounded and with a good top line b4 i do that but thank you for advise. do you or any one els have any advise for muscle supplements to help the process?

appylover2408 03-17-2011 06:53 PM

i need a muscle supplement dose any one know of a good one?

Kayty 03-17-2011 06:57 PM

If he's on 24 hour turn out that's great, but in hand hill walking is still going to be excellent for him. Lunging him daily is not going to be great on his joints as an older horse, plus you will be waiting for a long time before he builds up enough muscles to be 'well rounded and with a good topline'. I'd rather have a horse that had strengthened its soft tissue sufficiently to support a rider, and then work on walk, walk and more walk under saddle, because this is what builds muscle and strength. Not going in circles around on a lunge. I'm not anti-lunging by any means, I lunge my guy frequently as well as long rein, but for an older horse coming back into work, depending on how old he is, lunging is not the best thing to do.
If by well rounded you're meaning he's quite light on in the weight department, well work isn't going to to anything for that so up his intake of roughage and possibly start adding a little concentrate feed broken into 2 feeds a day. I'm not sure where you are located so won't give you brands of feeds that are great for weight gain and muscle promotion - combined with a suitable exercise plan. But things like soaked barley is fabulous for putting on weight and will have him 'well rounded' while being inexpensive.
Supplements, don't go there. People seem to think that you can just feed your horse something 'magical' and the next day it will have the topline of a warmblood stallion. Doesn't happen that way unfortunately - it would be nice if it did!! Just a concentrate feed and keep the level of roughage up for him, he won't put on muscle if he is not at a good weight, so as long as you're feeding him well and he is healthy, he will build muscles when worked correctly.

appylover2408 03-17-2011 09:25 PM

right now he actually starting to get a hay belly with minimum muscle soo its about burning the fat and turning it into muscle. i know that muscle supplements dont magically give your horse the top line of a warmblood stallion but i do know it dose help iv seen it. the only reasion i ask is to make shore the type my friend was recommending to me is the one to go with or if there are better ones out there. my horse needs to remain on senior not only on his age but when i have changed it to a weight gainer/ muscle promoter his bowels become way to watery where he gets soar around his rectum from the bowel movements. right now i have his digestion system under control and doo not want to mess with feed he also get freechoice hay. i dont plan on riding him for a while soo i plan on doing alot of walking with him my lung line is huge soo that way the circumference is not tight. we also have a rise in a cornor of one of the rings that he can extend up and down to stretch and make him push just a little more. i am not able to ride at the moment due to medical things but will be abel to after july. he dose get feed grain 2wice a day with free choice hay all day and 24 hour turn out unless the weather is bad he goes inside. but i was just wondering if you have a idea of a muscle supplement that you have used any one els is included in this convo.