The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

She Wont leave the Wrapping alone!

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  CCH 
#1 ·
HEEELPPPP! Rayne got her leg caught in something, as soon as i saw the cut i washed it out with warm water (despite her attempts to kick her foot away) and put a cream on it... then wrapped it with vet wrap... an hour later i went to check on her and the vet wrap was gone, the wound was packed full of mud again, and her leg was/is VERY swollen.... i called the vet and asked what the suggested i do, and they said to wrap the vet wrap tighter.... but i dont want to cut off the circulation to her foot! :?:-|:-(

#2 ·
Make sure that the wrap is snug, but you can still fit a finger in the top of the bandage, that will help prevent it from getting too tight. Then I would get some no crib spray, or cayenne pepper, and coat the wrap with that to discourage her from chewing on it. When wrapping her leg, make sure that you are using sheet cotton underneath the vet wrap, or if you are just wrapping a small section, use gauze pads, as there needs to be some protection between her leg and the vet wrap. If you are really worried, is there a someone with lots of experience wrapping legs that could help you out? Good luck, hope that she heals well.

#4 ·
I prefer a non-stick gauze pad with antibiotic ointment directly over the wound, then put some hydrocortisone cream where the skin is still intact before covering with vet wrap to prevent itching. Using additional rolled cotton is very helpful, but only necessary if your horse is sensitive or has closely shaved/ short hair.

You can then wrap over the bandage with either a standing wrap & quilt, which would be best for reducing the swelling, or just a polo to further prevent chewing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.