The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Leave long or pull? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/leave-long-pull-81312/)

Eliz 03-17-2011 10:08 PM

Leave long or pull?

What should I do, HF??

I'm planning on doing dressage with Vinnie. He is an arabian, so leaving the mane long and just doing a running braid would be acceptable. However, I am not against pulling it to do button braids.

My only concern is that his neck would look horridly short & thick with a pulled mane :-P

This is the best picture I could find of his mane. The part that is rubbed is now about 3-4" (the length I would pull it to) and the rest is a bit longer & thicker. Ignore the dork face :lol:

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/...0/DSC00327.jpg

sarahver 03-17-2011 10:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Someone has been into the hay ring eh? Literally!!

Don't pull his beautiful mane, it is so un-arabian and it would be a crying shame. Do you think you could braid it like this:

Attachment 58463

justjump 03-17-2011 10:16 PM

Hmm. If you think he would look bad with it pulled, then don't do it. Personally, I think braids look good in the arena period. I always braid for shows whether it's a schooling show or a quarter horse show, and it always seems to show in results at the schooling (since nobody braids). My trainer makes all of us girls braid for horse shows. Period. The judges come up to him and say how much they appreciate the respect.

But, it's all just what you think and what you want(:

He's cute btw!
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 03-17-2011 10:23 PM

Sarah, I rarely disagree with you, and for many horses I would say leave long and to the French running braid, but here's why in THIS instance I disagree.
Vinnie's neck is kind of narrow. By having the running braid, it will look narrower. Doing button braids on top will give him a wider looking neck (something you would want to avoid in a draft type conformation, or with , say, and Andalusian iwth a beefy neck) I can't rememeber too well, but I htink he has a nice arch and length to his neck that will be best shown off with button braids. YOu can, however, achieve decent button braids even with pretty long mane, so no need to shorten it by much.

I like his dork face!

Eliz 03-17-2011 10:34 PM

Lol Sarah, Yes! He was like that when I got him, only worse. He was completely bald in that spot! :p And yep, that is the braid I said I could do :) I'd definitely make sure he had a unicorn forelock like that photo!! Hawt.

Justjump: I agree! I would braid it definitely. I was just trying to decide on button braids or the running braid. :) Oh and thanks for the compliment. The photo isn't very flattering :P

Thanks Tiny! I'll just cut it a bit then. It's such a drag when it is so long if its not braided, it goes everywhere and gets in the way! I can decide on types in the future.

Good thing they don't have computers for horses, he would surely kill me for posting that pic :))

Maybe I'll just shorten it 3 inches or so :)

justjump 03-17-2011 10:36 PM

No problem(: I love the cute ones!

But I don't do button braids, I do hunter braids, but I've seen it done and it's almost the same concept. I normally like the mane a between 5inches and 6 inches. Go for that, maybe a little longer so when you braid you can go shorter if needed(:
Posted via Mobile Device

sarahver 03-17-2011 10:38 PM

^^You bring up an interesting point Tiny!

I just feel like if you pull the mane of a SE Arabian then some sphynx will materialize out of the ground beneath you to punish you for your transgressions against the breed :rofl:

Golden Horse 03-17-2011 10:42 PM

Mmm, I wouldn't pull it, running braids for an Arab!!

Eliz 03-17-2011 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahver (Post 966705)
^^You bring up an interesting point Tiny!

I just feel like if you pull the mane of a SE Arabian then some sphynx will materialize out of the ground beneath you to punish you for your transgressions against the breed :rofl:

Lol!
And I will be mummified alive
:shock:

mustbemonroe 03-17-2011 11:20 PM

I say pull it, especially since he already has part of it rubbed off. If you do button braids then I would suggest making the braids smaller so you have more of them. This helps create the illusion of a longer neck.

And I agree with JustJump, formal braids like that show the judges that you took time to present your horse as best as possible.