The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   my mare and "the pond" (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/my-mare-pond-81341/)

Angel_Leaguer 03-18-2011 12:22 PM

my mare and "the pond"

When I hear the word “Diva” I think of my mare. She likes to try to have everything done her way, she loves to flash her big booty around, and mostly she HATES walking in water or mud. We have been at shows before where it was really wet and she would jump around the puddles (not fun!!!).

Anyways with the warmer weather we are now having it is melting the snow and Ice and has created a very large pond in the middle of the pasture. The pond goes from the corner of the riding area and spreads to the outer fence… basically you have to go through it to get to the other side and it is pretty mucky and fairly deep. For some reason the herd decided to cross the pond (I would say the grass is greener on the other side but there is no grass…lol) and my mare April followed them. So When I arrived to ride last night and the herd saw me, 6 of the 7 plodded through the water to me, and April stood on the other side as helpless looking as possible. She cried for the others and you could tell that she was mentally trying to figure out what to do. I tried coaxing her across by teasing her with hay and carrots but my poor 16 hand big bodied horse just couldn’t do it. After about 15 minutes of watching her go through pure agony I decided to bring the others into the shed to help get them ready for feeding…. And after about 10 more minutes of toe in –toe out she finally mustered the courage to jump through the water.

I am not sure why she decided to cross the water in the first place… there is higher ground and plenty of room but it was something last night that just had to make me laugh. I guess we all have out fears whether we are human or animal :lol:

damnedEvans 03-19-2011 04:48 PM

She is adorable :D I love this kind of mares. They are so precious and funny.