The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   The Bad Luck Club :P (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/bad-luck-club-p-81355/)

Teresa 03-18-2011 03:29 PM

The Bad Luck Club :P

There simply MUST be more people out here who just have miserable luck with horses. If you are around, let us commiserate and vent about life's general ridiculousness.

To start, in October 2009 I bought a horse. It was like a dream come true -- he was super talented and sweet and we had tons of fun together. We got to know each other over the winter, and by March we were really "clicking". The show season couldn't come fast enough!

On March 11th he died at the nearby equine hospital, due to complications from his very severe colic the previous day.

Thank goodness for insurance.

Fast forward 3 months...

I bought another horse, and he arrived at the barn in May 2010. We pulled out all the stops as far as the pre-purchase exam went, because we were super-paranoid. We got every available x-ray done, and he passed with flying colors. Everything was clean.

For 8 months, life was great! We showed successfully, and things were going really well.

Now he somehow managed to fracture his coffin bone, and will be on stall rest for at least 3 months. Hopefully he will be able to return to regular work, but we will have to wait and see. On top of that, he recently developed arthritis in his neck, and will have to be injected once (if) he is ready to be worked again.

Again, thank goodness for insurance.

I'm now regarded by the local equestrian community as "cursed". People say to each other "Well, it could be worse! You could be like Teresa! Did you hear about how her LATEST horse..." :lol:

So, who else has had awful luck? Any freak injuries, accidents, or issues? What about rare diseases or lightning strikes? Share! Make me feel positively lucky by comparison!

Zimpatico 03-18-2011 03:53 PM

Oh, I say this all the time. The minute an animal becomes mine, it's doomed... Two years ago, we took in a severly underweight aged Percheron gelding. Very sweet, very quiet. Had been used at one of those public trail places and was on his way to the auction. Brought him home, got him healthy, weight back up, and on some joint supplements. He starts feeling better and his real personality comes out. A big, old, not-people friendly draft horse, vs outta shape adult re-rider. Not a good match. He decided he no longer wanted anyone near him and would simply throw his ass into you, knock you on the concrete, and get what he wanted. Not good. So, a very nice couple with several percherons took him home as a trail horse for hubby. Fine... hubby wouldn't try to show him affection, which he obviously wanted no parts of...

Next up, adorable laid back Paint gelding. Great match to help me get my confidence back and bond with. Very sweet affectionate boy. Major training holes. We worked with a couple of trainers to get him more comfortable with structured ring work. This stresses him out. Starts with ulcers. Starts with recurring colic. Gets so bad that vet is out almost every other week, tried every treatment imaginable, and practically unable to ride as it seems to give him a melt down. Found a fantastic home where he can be out 24/7 with a stall open to the pasture, and a girl who pleasure/trail rides just a few days a week. Now, he's totally fine.

NEXT... Zee. I love this horse more than any horse that has ever come into my life. I admited last night that I love him more than my very first horse as a kid. He is amazing. 21 year old Imported German Hanoverian who was out of work for a few years. Best training, amazing breeding, and a personality to die for. He is my best friend who tolerates hour long grooming sessions, trail rides, and we even got him back in shape for jumping. I leased him while shopping for a new horse after we rehomed my Paint, and couldn't bear to part with him, so I bought him in October. This horse is my ENTIRE world. Possibly more important than my fiance! October - January working carefully to get him back in shape the right way, started jumping again, and looking forward to pleasure classes in some local schooling shows. Arrive for my lesson after work one night to a swollen leg almost three months to the day after we bought him. Torn suspensory. Who knows how long before he can really be worked again...

Not to mention my poor dog. Adopted her five years ago. Totally blind when I got her, and last year she developed glaucoma in one eye, which had to be removed. So, now we have a one-eyed blind dog. Oh, and I also have a three legged cat that we adopted after she was hit by a car and left on the side of the road.

My house is like some sort of resort for any "special needs" cases. I am starting to think that I simply shouldn't have any more animals. Look what happens to them after they live with me!!!

zurmdahl 03-18-2011 05:46 PM

With my mare I've had so much bad luck it's not even funny. First, the very first time I rode her after I bought her, she was lame. Turned on, her shoes were wayyyy too small and so she ended up having a week or two off after getting her shoes taken off. Then, once I was able to ride her, she got an abscess in her back foot. It took about a week to get all drained. Then I ended up getting mono, wasn't allowed to ride for a month. After I'm all healthy, it's now winter and I couldn't ride because there wasn't an indoor were I used to board so she had more time off. Once I was finally able to ride, she got several more very poorly times abscesses and once we got that all sorted out, she hurt her back leg.

That's all taken care of, then the third year I owned her we had moved to a new barn and started showing. There was a schooling show that I was super pumped to go to, it was just jumping and that's always what she excels at when we school and I was pumped I didn't have to do any dressage tests. So we get there and I warming up and she's lame! She ended up having yet another abscess, woo. We finally got our stuff together last year and were able to compete in several shows successfully though!

And we put her up for sale as her hatred of ring work has convinced me that she is just not meant to be an event horse and would be a much happier trail/pleasure horse and I am headed off to college in the fall too. So a few days before someone is supposed to come try her out, she hurts her front leg doing god knows what. Now she's had three weeks off, last week I finally got the okay to start walking her and getting her back in to work, I'm hoping she can manage not to injure herself again!

QHDragon 03-19-2011 06:07 PM

I have all kinds of bad luck!!

It all started when I decided to sell my first horse and buy a TB gelding. I was going no where with my current horse, and he had taught me all he had to teach, so of course the logical step was to move up to a much sportier horse that could jump and excel at dressage. Things went great for what I call the "honeymoon period." The first several months everything went really well, he was a ton of fun to work with and the things started to go a bit downhill. He started rearing, bolting, and other crazy antics. I spent $100s if not $1000s on getting a saddle that fit him perfectly, treating him for ulcers, and getting him on a much higher quality food. Nothing seemed to work so I sold him. I really regret that now, I think he simply needed a boarding situation that allowed him to run around and work off some extra steam on his own, which the place I had him at didn't allow for. He is doing beautifully in full turn out with his current owner, which proves my theory. I haven't been able to find a horse that I feel is as talented as he is since. It kinda breaks my heart to see him being used as a once in a blue moon trail horse.

After that things started to go downhill. I bought a mare only to find out she had some hip issues that wouldn't allow her to work for me, leased her out and found a horse that was everything I wanted and more. Then the mare was returned to me and I had to scramble to find her a home, which didn't go very smoothly. Then the horse that I was leasing (my dream horse) got taken out from under me due to an injury to the owner's other horse.

Then I decided to buy a nice little project mare that I would train for dressage and jumping. I didn't want another horse taken out from under me. One day when I was getting on the mounting block the mounting block tipped and I fell just right, tearing my ACL.

7 months, and two surgeries later I am battling a contracted ham-string and a contracted calf muscle and walking for any length of time is very hard on me. Riding is very touch and go.

I am trying to get a horse to get back into riding on, but the horse, who I totally fell in love with, is having some soundness issues that have dragged on for three weeks now. Waiting on baited breath the see what comes of it, but its not sounding so promising any more.