The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Werid Mounting Troubles (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/werid-mounting-troubles-81370/)

EmilyandNikki 03-18-2011 08:02 PM

Werid Mounting Troubles

So, I can mount a horse in a Western saddle from the ground no troubles. Be the horse 14.1 to a did mount a draft once, not sure on his size though. At least 16 though.

But, as soon as I try to mount my English pony who is 14.1, I can't do it from the ground? Like I can get my leg there, and I can get the bounce but I just don't feel the power I need to safely clear his back(If I do clear it, it usually involved me standing stright in the stirrup for more seconds then I should and slowly throwing myself over). Can someone take a stab at this? Is it something I myself might be doing, or lack of muscle?

apachiedragon 03-19-2011 02:57 PM

I'm betting it's because of the leathers. There is not as much resistance or stiffness with English leathers so they aren't as stationary when you are mounting. They wiggle around more, so you have to use more muscle control to keep yourself stable, and that leaves less strength to actually get you up and over.

Poseidon 03-19-2011 03:22 PM

I agree with apachie: English stirrup leathers are just little straps. Western saddles have large fenders that don't move much unless you're pushing or pulling them purposefully.

EmilyandNikki 03-23-2011 02:16 PM

Thanks guys!

Luvs2jump 03-23-2011 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apachiedragon (Post 968029)
I'm betting it's because of the leathers. There is not as much resistance or stiffness with English leathers so they aren't as stationary when you are mounting. They wiggle around more, so you have to use more muscle control to keep yourself stable, and that leaves less strength to actually get you up and over.

I so agree with this one.