The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Hoof Supplements (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/hoof-supplements-8146/)

tayahswirl 04-21-2008 05:51 PM

Hoof Supplements

My horse doesn't necessarily have bad hoofs, but I just want to be careful so they don't crack or anything.

I've been looking into BioFlax 20 from Smart Pak Equine & it seems have have very good reviews & results...and also helps the skin/coat condition.

If you know of any others, I'd really like to know, but I'd also like to order from Smart Pak Equine because of the free shipping & easy packets for daily dose administration.

SonnyWimps 04-21-2008 06:06 PM

Re: Hoof Supplements

Quote:

Originally Posted by tayahswirl
My horse doesn't necessarily have bad hoofs, but I just want to be careful so they don't crack or anything.

I've been looking into BioFlax 20 from Smart Pak Equine & it seems have have very good reviews & results...and also helps the skin/coat condition.

If you know of any others, I'd really like to know, but I'd also like to order from Smart Pak Equine because of the free shipping & easy packets for daily dose administration.

I've talked to my farrier about supplements for the hoof and he said that they aren't really worth the money. Most people I know don't use it and their horses hooves are great.

Sonny used to have really weak hooves...but now they are really good...the vet was worried that he'd need either a boot or shoes to go trail riding because of the rocks....but he can walk on rocks fine now. I didn't do anything for the hooves. I just cleaned them out really well before and after I'd ride

ColleenT 04-21-2008 10:02 PM

actually if the horse needs it, they ARE worth the money. my horse has crappy feet, and he has improved tremendously since i have had him on Biotin.

I was boarding him with a woman who stopped giving him his supplements, ( i asked to give them to him) but she got lazy, i knew he was not getting any b/c i counted the baggies. I moved him, b/c the care was minimal. after about 9 months when the hooves started to reach the ground level, they were a mess again, Brittle, could not hold a shoe, etc.. it took a while to get the supplements back into his system and for his foot to grow enough to see the improvement. Hoof supplements take a while, b/c you need the new growth to grow enough to reach the ground level to know if they work. if you only use them for a couple months, they are not going to show any improvement.

Horses that do not need the supplements can tolerate them, and will usually get a very shiny coat, if the hoof is already strong and healthy. if you don't need it, you might not want to spend the money.

Britt 04-21-2008 10:27 PM

I had my mare on hoof supplements once, even though she didn't really need them... my farrier actually told me to take her off the supplements because her hooves were extremely hard to nail the shoe on... Lol...

Jrchloe 04-21-2008 11:05 PM

What about trying just a hoof dressing like Rain Maker or Hoof Flex?

ColleenT 04-22-2008 09:34 AM

dressings are only useful if the ground is very dry, they help keep some moisture in, but you have to use them at the coronet band, not at the ground level. overall, they don't do a lot, but they can help if the hooves are extremely dry.

I use Keratex hoof Hardener to help with the brittle feet, as well. it is great but it's expensive at $40 a bottle. it is for Problem hooves.

Jrchloe 04-22-2008 10:10 AM

I live in Florida so there is no such thing as too dry haha. I have always used hoof dressing to keep new growth healthy and moisterized. If the horse has healthy hooves then I would think that since the horse is healthy that hoof dressing would give you the results you are looking for since you are just hoping to prevent cracks.