The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplement (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/glucosamine-chondroitin-supplement-81494/)

grayshell38 03-20-2011 12:32 PM

Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplement

Since Thelma's 23'rd birthday is just around the corner I am looking more seriously at supplementation for her joints.
She has never been stiff or off, but I would rather start her on something now, and avoid issues later.

I have access to Glucosamine/chondroitin pills in human doses at wholesale prices and was wondering if this is something that would be okay to put her on. And if so, what dosage?

grayshell38 03-20-2011 12:44 PM

Forgot to add that she is already started on pure MSM.
The tablets I am thinking of are mixed glucosamine and chondroitin. They are 1500mg glucosamine and `1200mg of chondroitin, if that changes anything.

Wallaby 03-20-2011 12:51 PM

I've read that to really do a bunch of good, there needs to be 9,000mg of glucosamine, daily, in the diet.
However, Lacey's on a supplement ( Majesty's Flex Wafers - Horse Treats from SmartPak Equine ) that's only 2,500mg of glucosamine and there has been improvement with that (she's also barely arthritic). I'm thinking of bumping her up to two "wafers" a day though, just to see it she improves even more.

I don't know why your pills wouldn't work, but the only thing I can think of is that there may be differences in the way horses and humans absorb things internally, and since the pills are for humans... But I don't know, that's just a guess.

grayshell38 03-20-2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallaby (Post 968837)
I've read that to really do a bunch of good, there needs to be 9,000mg of glucosamine, daily, in the diet.
However, Lacey's on a supplement ( Majesty's Flex Wafers - Horse Treats from SmartPak Equine ) that's only 2,500mg of glucosamine and there has been improvement with that (she's also barely arthritic). I'm thinking of bumping her up to two "wafers" a day though, just to see it she improves even more.

I don't know why your pills wouldn't work, but the only thing I can think of is that there may be differences in the way horses and humans absorb things internally, and since the pills are for humans... But I don't know, that's just a guess.

Good to hear. So if I was doing 9,000mg then that would only be 6 tablets a day. The bottle is 900 tablets, so it would last me 150 days. And only $25 a bottle and then $15 for her MSM which will last me a very long time as well. I think that she'll be in great shape for summer riding.

Lots of people don't know what MSM is or does, but I heard that it is great alone or in conjunction with Condroitin and Glucosamine, so that is my goal.
MSM in the Equine World <Tells about MSM.

I figured that it would be fine to use even if it is marketed for humans and there are no additives, but I wanted to make sure first.

Thanks for the info. I am very excited for this summer!

Wallaby 03-20-2011 01:36 PM

Geez! You wanna send me one of those bottles when you send that flymask? I'll pay of course. :lol:
However, that might push shipping into the exorbitant range... haha