The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Is it okay to ride in open fields? (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/okay-ride-open-fields-81502/)

glitterhorse 03-20-2011 02:14 PM

Is it okay to ride in open fields?

Around where I live there are a LOT of open fields..seeing as I only have seven acres filled with woods to ride on, I want a place to just ride free and gallop. Is it illegal to ride in the open fields? My mother thinks it is, but there are no signs saying "private property" etc..

smrobs 03-20-2011 02:19 PM

If you don't know the owner of the fields, then I would stay off of them. Sometimes people have grain/crops planted that riding would tear up. You might try to find out who owns the fields and ask them if they mind you riding on them. I wouldn't do it without permission though. Even if there are not any "no trespassing" signs up, it is still private property and it is protected under the trespassing laws even if it isn't posted.

glitterhorse 03-20-2011 02:21 PM

lol sadly I thought that was going to be the answer. Thanks anyways! Now I guess I have to believe my mom!

Amlalriiee 03-20-2011 03:41 PM

If you do get permission, then it's perfectly okay though....so ask around a bit! Most landowners don't mind as long as nobody ticks them off :)

musicalmarie1 03-20-2011 04:06 PM

I agree-- The worst that can happen is you get a "no." It'll take a bit of research, and maybe some calling around, but if you really want an open space to run on, it'll be worth it!

MyBoyPuck 03-20-2011 07:28 PM

Just ask the owner for permission. Worse thing they can say is no. No harm no foul.

RockandRide 03-20-2011 07:35 PM

I agree with all the other answers! Just look around and do some research. Ask people and all the hard work will pay off. The worst that will happen is getting a "No", but you most likely will get a "Go for It" If there are no crops.

Even if there aren't signs up, its best to call incase.

glitterhorse 03-20-2011 08:35 PM

Will do everyone! Thanks for the help

Tennessee 03-20-2011 08:47 PM

As everyone has said above, just ask. We live around a lot of farm fields, and so long as we do not trudge through them while they are growing crops and remain to the sides during the summer months (in the winter we can run all through them) the farmers do not care.

Painted Horse 03-21-2011 10:19 AM

Does it look like somebody is working the land? Then definitely ask. since it's something you are riding your horses to and from. It should be close enough that you know your neighbors and just go ask.

Here in Utah 75% of the land is public lands (Forest Service, BLM or State Trust Lands) . So we have access to vast amounts of land to ride on. Our biggest concern is access to the pubic lands. Since most of the cultivatable lands were homesteaded centuries ago. Which means the farm land that adjoins the public lands is private and you often have to cross that private land to get onto the public land.