The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   *embarrassing* My saddle slipped! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/%2Aembarrassing%2A-my-saddle-slipped-81505/)

glitterhorse 03-20-2011 02:19 PM

*embarrassing* My saddle slipped!

While galloping away on my little horse, my saddle slipped! It completely slid under my horse, me falling off with it. That's the second time it's happened, and though it hasn't happened again for a while, I'm still afraid it will happen and I don't quite know what caused it to slip. I saddled up my horse normally, and I might have put it a little too loose, but I was constantly checking it making sure it wasn't. A family friend suggested that my horse "blows himself up" (holds his breath)..how can I prevent this from happening again? Thank you!

BarrelracingArabian 03-20-2011 02:27 PM

Yikes thats scary. We use non slip cinches but if you cant get that cinch up normally then walk your horse in a couple circles then check again then get up walk/trot a few laps then check before you canter then once again going bakc to trot

AQHA13 03-20-2011 02:29 PM

If he's puffing up as you tighten the cinch, perhaps it's hurting him. You can try making him more comfortable by, putting the saddle on and pulling the cinch up just snug enough that it won't slide around(NOT tight though!), walk him around a little and pull it a little more, and then do that until it's tight enough.
Our newest horse used to be really cinchy b/c the owners would throw the saddle on and pull the cinch up really tight. Just by taking a few extra moments to gradually tighten the cinch before each ride made the biggest difference! On days where he was really bad, I would even trot him around(in-hand) and do bending exercises with him, this really seemed to calm him down and he has since quit puffing up.

-edit-
Do you use a thick pads under your saddle? Perhaps the saddle fits well, but it can't stay placed because the pads are lifting it to far off his back.

MyBoyPuck 03-20-2011 02:36 PM

Yikes. That sounds scary. I always ride around at a walk for a good 5 minutes and then check my girth before heading out. I usually get 2 extra holes. I'm notorious for riding with a loose girth, so I always use skeepskin saddle pads. Those things don't slip ever. They definitely make up for a not quite tight girth.

churumbeque 03-20-2011 02:43 PM

Does your horse have a round barrel making it hard to hold it in place? Is it fitting properly so it is stable?

glitterhorse 03-20-2011 03:22 PM

Ah yes, aqha13, I guess my pad is pretty thick! I will look at it
Posted via Mobile Device

iridehorses 03-21-2011 07:11 AM

A lot of horses blow up as you are cinching them. I cinch in several steps before mounting. I'll cinch up lightly, walk her, cinch up more, do leg stretches, then once more before mounting.

The other concern I would have would be saddle fit. Even if your saddle is on the loose side, it shouldn't slip so much that it goes under him if it fits properly. That is an extremely dangerous thing to have happen.

ozarkmama 03-21-2011 10:41 AM

I too cinch up in steps, always walking the horse before tightening the girth. Sometimes I will even lunge for a few circles before tightening for the last time.

riccil0ve 03-21-2011 11:07 AM

One should always check their tack at least twice before mounting. :wink:

Shananigan 03-21-2011 11:15 AM

My Arab mare puffs up occasionally too. Now I usually tighten her cinch 3 different times. First, just snug it up so that the saddle can't slip off if she moves around. I'll walk away, give her a minute then come back and tighten it up a little bit more. After I tighten her up the second time though, I'll run my fingers under the cinch and pull it away from her a little (on both sides) and slide my fingers up and down to make sure there is no pinching going on. I usually do this though if it's winter and her coat is long or if I'm using a rope cinch (which I don't use anymore). After that, I'll hand walk her a couple laps, then finish tightening it up.

I ALMOST had that happen to me when I was really young 5-6? I was riding my Shetland Pony and she wound up taking off galloping being a butt head (she was good at that). As she was galloping though, my saddle started to slip off to the side. I am lucky it didn't slide totally around like you though! It's quite a scary thing to go through even without falling off! If you go through these steps that people have mentioned above, I'm sure you can avoid that next time! :-)