The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Well, it figures... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/well-figures-81556/)

dee 03-20-2011 11:16 PM

Well, it figures...

1 Attachment(s)
I rode Dancer for the first time yesterday! She was a real trouper! Didn't have a bit of trouble carrying my fat butt - although admittedly the ride was only about 10 minutes long and at a very slow walk. I was seriously impressed. (So was the trainer who was evaluating her for me!)

Problem was, I couldn't use my new saddle. Oh, it fits Dancer just fine - it's a treeless saddle. It even fits my fat backside (I'm 5'2" and 260). But - my girth was way too big. It would have been fine if I had a regular western saddle, but this one is an endurance saddle - I got it because I thought it would be better to get a very lightweight saddle, since I'm heavy enough as it is.

I bought the saddle on Ebay (I know, I know - don't go there). It's an infamous Hilason. I was pretty impressed that it was better made than I thought it would be. Unfortunately, they sent the wrong size...I thought. I was going to send it back, but daughter really liked it, and even though the seat is a bit big for her, she wanted to keep it. Besides, the other daughter needs a large seated saddle, too. So, I bought a second saddle, same model - supposedly a larger seat size - but it was the same size as the first one. They called it a 19" - to me, it's 17" on a good day. Okay, I popped the saddle on a sturdy stand and plopped my backside in it. Okay - even with the smaller seat it felt just fine - guess I lost more inches than I thought when I lost the weight.

Now here's the part that makes me sick - we took Dancer and Nutmeg - the daughter's rescued mare, to the trainer's yesterday. Nutmeg will be staying for at least 60 days, but Dancer was there for an evaluation to see if she would need any serious training before I started riding her. I had to use the trainer's favorite saddle because we couldn't cinch my down tight enough. The trainer's saddle is a 16" Abetta western saddle. AND IT FIT DANCER PERFECTLY!!!! To make things even worse, that 16" seat was only a bit snug. If Abetta made an 18" saddle, I could have gotten one of those.

Guess you could say I'm suffering from buyer's remorse right now. However, as soon as I can lose a little more weight, I'll probably be paying Abetta's web site a visit...

Oh!!!! Just to brag on Dancer - the trainer said she was very well trained - a bit rusty - but remembering very quickly. She still needs work on her topline - we only separated her from Rain that same day. But her weight is fine. Even with all of the excitement of being in a new place and a bunch of hubbub and horses calling out to each other, Dancer was as calm and cool as a cucumber (though she did call out a couple of times herself!)

I saw this pic my daughter took, and I sure feel sorry for poor Dancer!

Attachment 58785

tinyliny 03-21-2011 03:17 AM

I ve heard good things about Abettas. Hope all goes well with you two.

Chele11 03-21-2011 01:20 PM

Dee - If you might be interested in selling the saddle you just bought, I'd like to see it! I am testing one out right now but am not sure how I feel about it yet...

dee 03-21-2011 10:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Chele - here is a picture of it. I sure do need a new chair - didn't realize how worn looking it has gotten until now!:lol: I doubt that I will be selling it any time soon, though. I still have a long way to go before I am ready, physically and financially, to get another saddle...

Attachment 58903

Chele11 03-21-2011 10:57 PM

Dee - that looks incredibly comfortable!!!!!

dee 03-21-2011 11:19 PM

I haven't ridden in it yet, but it was really comfy on that stand. Now, all I need to do is figure out how to keep it from sliding sidewinders. The pad that came with it has a nonslip bottom (neoprene), but the top is nylon mesh - and the saddle really slides around. Our trainer assures me that little problem will improve as the saddle gets broken in. Thought about using slip stop on top of the pad in the meantime!

luvs2ride1979 03-22-2011 12:33 AM

It's probably an 18" measured like an English saddle. Or, it could be that it's just treeless. Treeless saddles do usually run smaller. I have an 18" Bob Marshall endurance and it rides like a 17" western saddle. I used to ride in a 17" Abetta endurance and my Bob Marshall just barely fits me ;-).

Get some of that waffle shelf liner stuff. Cut a sheet out and use it between your saddle and the pad. That should help, and it won't add much bulk.

dee 03-22-2011 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvs2ride1979 (Post 970768)
It's probably an 18" measured like an English saddle. Or, it could be that it's just treeless. Treeless saddles do usually run smaller. I have an 18" Bob Marshall endurance and it rides like a 17" western saddle. I used to ride in a 17" Abetta endurance and my Bob Marshall just barely fits me ;-).

Get some of that waffle shelf liner stuff. Cut a sheet out and use it between your saddle and the pad. That should help, and it won't add much bulk.

That's what I figured out on the sizes. Weird saddle, but it's comfy. The waffle shelf liner is what we call slip stop. Will be stopping by Wally world on my way home tonight or tomorrow to pick some up. I thought we had some left in the motorhome, but I couldn't find it last night...