The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Does anyone else NOT enjoy gaited horses? (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/does-anyone-else-not-enjoy-gaited-81559/)

breezy17 03-20-2011 11:27 PM

Does anyone else NOT enjoy gaited horses?

All I had heard about was how smooth they were, so I decided to do a lesson on the gaited horse at my barn. It was a disaster. I just didn't like the feeling! Maybe it's just me, but I don't mind a little bumpiness- it helps me gauge how things are going/what I need to adjust, etc. I just felt lost on the gait!

Cali 03-20-2011 11:28 PM

I think its cool and different, but I wouldn't own one.. I do have a paso/QH cross, but he's not gaited. Thank goodness. lol

justjump 03-20-2011 11:30 PM

I've never ridden one, but I have heard they were smooth. I personally, think they are ugly to watch. But that's just MO.
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 03-20-2011 11:36 PM

I've never ridden one either, but I likely won't seek one out. They are hard to find around here and I am perfectly content with my good old stock horses.

Eliz 03-20-2011 11:55 PM

I don't like the look of them, but have never ridden them. Maybe if I were older and had back problems I would try to get one.. but for now I'm perfectly fine with the "jarring" of non gaited breeds ;)

usandpets 03-21-2011 12:49 AM

We have a TWH, an Arab cross and an Appy/QH (I don't know if Appy's are gaited but he's smoother than the other QH's). The two crosses are smoother at the lope. The TWH has more bumps at the "walk", but they're smaller and you can easily sit them than the QH trots. The lope has some getting used to. Seems smoother but also seems to have an extra bump in the middle. Granted she is more of a pasture ornament but she fun to mess around on. I've only rode one other TWH but that was after it spooked and the rider said I could ride it back to the barn. I wasn't really paying attention to the gait but more on keeping it under control and listening to me. I do remember the horse was quick though.

MN Tigerstripes 03-21-2011 01:17 AM

I liked my Walker's gaits. We were bad though and let them trot and canter too. :lol: But they were show horses, just trail horses. Soda did some gaited thing (felt like a running walk) last summer. Wish I could figure out how to train him to do it, but that's the only time he's ever done it.

Countrylady1071 03-21-2011 01:21 AM

I've ridden tenessee walkers, and they were definitely smooth and I did enjoy it.. but I can't stand watching them move! it just looks so.. awkward! like a chicken head bobbing. no offense at all to those who love them! the few I knew were very sweet horses, and gorgeous too.
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 03-21-2011 01:30 AM

Jen, teaching a modified running walk to a stock horse isn't terribly hard. Basically you just nudge with your legs until he picks up the speed of walk you want then let your legs off. If he slows down, start nudging again, if he breaks into a trot, bring him back to the walk. Over and over and over and he'll get that head-noddin' walk that can cover some country. The worst part of it after you get him reaching out and walking is riding with someone who rides a snail and having to keep slowing him down LOL.

MN Tigerstripes 03-21-2011 01:37 AM

Thanks, I'll try that out. I was really surprised when he did it, but it was cool.

I already have that problem. Soda has a ground covering walk already (when he isn't being a snot about leaving the house) and my friend rides a horse with the SLOWEST walk EVER. I end up having to keep circling back or she has to trot to keep up. :lol: We're working with both the boys to modify their speed, but I'm sure they'll have "forgotten" it all this spring.