The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   Reining levels? (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/reining-levels-81604/)

DiamondsMyLady 03-21-2011 01:29 PM

Reining levels?

Okay, so I come from mostly the english world. That, and barrel racing. So, needless to say, I'm not really sure about anything when it comes to reining other than what it is. I'd like to know a little more about it, the different levels, and what is required at each level. Also, I'd like to know how to get the patterns, or where, rather. See, I'm joining 4-H this year, and they recently added reining. I want to try it, because my horse can already rein to some extent. I think it will be a fun and learning experience. Thanks in advance!

nrhareiner 03-21-2011 03:31 PM

Well since it is a 4H thing the levels are going to be different and depending on your area the patterns are probable different also.

If you are talking NRHA. There are quite a few levels. However they basically brake down into to distinct areas. One is the Open. This is for anyone who wishes to compete can. However it is primarily trainers and pro riders. However anyone with a NRHA membership and a horse with a competition license can compete. With in the Open level you have 4 different levels. Rookie Pro Limited Open Intermediate Open and Open. Again you can move up and show in a level higher but can not move down. Each level is based on rider earnings and rankings with in NRHA.

Then there is the Non Pro level. In the Non Pro level every rider is just that a non pro. You can not earn ANY money astride on a horse or giving lessons. NO exceptions.

With in the Non Pro levels there is everything from Green Reininer 1 & 2. This is at the affiliate level and neither you or your horse has to be listed with NRHA you do not have to own the horse. You only have to be a member of the affiliate. You get points based on how many horses you beat each class and once you get enough points you move to the next level. Then comes the Limited Non Pro Int. Non Pro and the Non pro. Again based on earnings with in NRHA.

There is also a Novice horse class in both the Non Pro and Open levels.

Then there is also Prime time classes for rides over a certain age. There are also Womans and mens classes. However these are more of an affiliate level type deal then an NRHA thing.

If you are looking for NRHA patterns then NRHA.com is the best place to look. There is an on line rule book and that will have the patterns for you to down load.

franknbeans 03-21-2011 03:51 PM

Hmmm...Here I thought my horse had to have his license to go greens-oh well, guess I was wrong, altho I remember having to show one last year when my friend showed Green-rider and horse, both.

Anyway-I found this on line last summer, and it is great for those of us who can't remember patterns with any ease....;-)

Whinny Widgets - Reining Pattern Books

nrhareiner 03-21-2011 04:43 PM

There has been some talk about making the green classes an NRHA class which would change things in regards to Comp Licensee and such as that way it can be tracked but to my knowledge nothing has been done about it yet.