The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

barrel vs. roping reins for both events

12K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  bubba13 
#1 ·
should i get barrel reins or roping reins? I want to do a bit of both... whats the difference?

#4 ·
The biggest difference alot of the time is that barrel reins have knots... where most roping reins do not. I prefer Roping reins when I run.

#5 ·
If the barrel reins have knots, then I would definitely avoid those for roping. Sometimes you have to slip a few inches of rein when you're roping and I can only imagine how difficult that would be with knots in them, especially when you have the extra coils in that hand as well.

#6 · (Edited)
not all barrel reins have knots in them.. my reins are were called barrel reins and they didn't have knots..

I think a lot of the time the leather ones are called roping reins and cotton/nylon/other materials are called barrel reins

if you get reins like this:

ALWAYS double check to make sure they are in the buckles securely (before EVERY ride) - these are famous around here for slipping and a rein coming undone - I've seen it probably half a dozen times in the middle of barrel & pole runs)

these come in the knotted and just one continuous flat rein - just be cautious of using them ;)

personally, I don't like knotted reins - if I use them, then I "custom" knot them myself - I buy a pair of handmade ones in a 10-12ft length then add knots where I need them

also I would not purchase flat nylon reins unless you plan on wearing gloves every ride - these can give horrible rope burns

IMO a nice set of cotton or leather reins is the best

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.