The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Driving (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/)
-   -   driving my mini-donk (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/driving-my-mini-donk-81629/)

Lissa 03-21-2011 04:32 PM

driving my mini-donk

I will be starting ground driving soon!

currently in the process of searching for a reasonably priced harness - so I have made my own out of an old fleece english girth (it fits COMPLETELY around my donkey! lol) and added a rope breast collar with some loops for my reins and we are all set for her first driving lesson =)

spring farm work has to be done first THEN I get time to start playing with the minis more ;)

*note* I will never actually hook anything up to her until we get a real harness.. but it suits the purpose for teaching.. minis are a major fad around here now so even used harnesses are selling for as much as new ones

Reiterin 03-22-2011 12:15 AM

That's great! Have you driven before?? You will love it.

Lissa 03-22-2011 03:14 PM

I've driven before but never owned my own, so I'm excited to have one that I will be able to hitch up whenever I want (eventually!)

A knack for horses 03-22-2011 03:55 PM

That sounds oh so cute!!!

Pictures are a must! :wink:

SpiritedLittleCopperSpots 03-22-2011 08:25 PM

Have fun with it and let us know how it goes. :D
Love to see pics when you get started!

Lissa 03-24-2011 04:55 PM

I'm sure there will be lots of pictures!

It's gotten cold again here =( hoping it will be warm again next week and I'll begin working with her again

SpiritedLittleCopperSpots 03-24-2011 05:28 PM

I sure wish I could be saying the same thing!

It is going to be awhile before I can start working horses again, we still have a couple feet of snow on the ground here. :-(

Reiterin 03-26-2011 08:25 PM

you need a sleigh! ;)~

xXSweetBreezeXx 03-27-2011 04:40 PM

PICS! Haha, I have two mini donks. One I trained to pull a cart and sleigh, but she's pregnant now, and her almost 2 year old colt is just learning to ground drive while I pull the cart behind me. Keep us updated on your progress!

SpiritedLittleCopperSpots 03-28-2011 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reiterin (Post 975948)
you need a sleigh! ;)~

:lol: Yup!
That would be fun, maybe one day I'll have one.
I have thought about hooking up a sled for the fun of it!
Kind of worry about the ice under foot though...