The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Cutting and Team Penning (http://www.horseforum.com/cutting-team-penning/)
-   -   Sorting (http://www.horseforum.com/cutting-team-penning/sorting-81641/)

lovemycowboy 03-21-2011 08:17 PM

Sorting

What is the difference between Team Penning and Sorting? I've heard people talk about Sorting whenever talking about Team Penning so just wondering what it is!

smrobs 03-21-2011 08:23 PM

In team penning, a team of cowboys has to move into a herd of cattle and pick out the ones with their designated number. There will usually be 3 cattle that all have the same number on them. The cowboys have to sort out those 3 cattle, keep the others behind the line, and drive their 3 down the arena and into a smaller pen.

In sorting, there is a group of cattle (usually 10) and each is numbered in order from 0 to 9. The cowboys have to sort each steer off in numerical order and move them into the adjoined pen.

lovemycowboy 03-22-2011 04:04 PM

Okay gotcha! Thanks!! :)

mls 03-22-2011 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 970442)
In team penning, a team of cowboys has to move into a herd of cattle and pick out the ones with their designated number. There will usually be 3 cattle that all have the same number on them. The cowboys have to sort out those 3 cattle, keep the others behind the line, and drive their 3 down the arena and into a smaller pen.

In sorting, there is a group of cattle (usually 10) and each is numbered in order from 0 to 9. The cowboys have to sort each steer off in numerical order and move them into the adjoined pen.

Sorry to correct.

In sorting the order is 1 - 0. (If you sorted 0 and then 9, you would be sorting backwards and earn a DQ) There are different classes of sorting. The best animals for sorting are heifers. There is no pen - the animals just have to be moved through the gate in order.

Team sorting - a team of three riders sorts the numbered cattle in order in the shortest amount of time. Depending on the size of the pen, time limit can be 60 to 90 seconds.

Two man - Smaller 'hole' than the team sorting. Riders typically alternate herd work.

Cut and sort - AQHA rules - there are 11 cattle in the pen. One is a 'blank' and cannot leave the pen - even after time is up.

A knack for horses 03-22-2011 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mls (Post 971456)
Sorry to correct.

In sorting the order is 1 - 0. (If you sorted 0 and then 9, you would be sorting backwards and earn a DQ) There are different classes of sorting.

I think smrobs was saying that the cows are numbered 0-9 (like 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9), not saying the cows are sorted 0 to 9.

But like mls said, when you go to sort the order you follow is:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0

When they call a number (say the announcer says 8) the sorter would start with the 8 cow and follow the number pattern

8 9 0
Then the order loops back to the beginning
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

smrobs 03-22-2011 04:55 PM

^^Exactly, thank you Knack. I was just trying to give a basic idea since I don't know all the rules. We don't have sorting competitions around here.

adeberti 03-23-2011 03:26 PM

Hi,

there a few other rules for team sorting:
1) a cow cannot come back after it passed the gate
2)the rider cannot touch a cow intentionally (foot, stirrups, reins)
3)horse can push them, but are not supposed to harm them (bite cows...)

and if you want to get a faster time you will alternate gate horse/rider

for team penning:

1)you don't have to "pen" all three cows, but in the standings 3 cows are better than 2, 2 better than 1 regardless of time.
2) there is an imaginary line across the arena: you cannot have more than 1 "dirty cow" (number not called) at any given time pass the line and such cow should be sent back across the line before finishing.
3) you usually finish with 2 riders(out of 3) entering the pan with the cows

The events are a ton of fun, an i guess there are small variation across various regions and associations.
There is also another event called in-and by where you have a rectangular pen (12 feet wide) and 10 numbered cows are jammed at one end. There is a side pen (to the right usually) connected to the rectangular pen. Odds or even are called and 2 riders have to send the appropriate cows either in the side pen "in" (one rider stands by the gate) or to the other end of the rectangular pen "by". If the wrong number( odd/even) goes in the side pen or to the other end you DQ. Fastest time wins.

We have been doing all this events for a few years....I actually do them on my almost 18h Shire....and yes cows did try to go under him...

lovemycowboy 03-31-2011 01:29 PM

Thanks everybody for explaining!

goldilockz 03-31-2011 02:11 PM

Good info :)