The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   How to practice (safe) bareback riding? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/how-practice-safe-bareback-riding-81661/)

glitterhorse 03-21-2011 10:15 PM

How to practice (safe) bareback riding?

I've recently been riding bareback, and I want to get better at it. I sometimes slip a little, so how can I get a better grip on the horse? What some practicing exercises I can do to become a better bareback rider? Thanks! I need the help lol
Posted via Mobile Device

AQHA13 03-21-2011 10:25 PM

I use a bareback pad. It's suede so that sort-of helps me "stick", and it has a grab handle over the withers... I would never use one with stirrups though, it's too easy to put uneven pressure and have it slide, not to mention that it puts way to much pressure directly on the horse's spine.

smrobs 03-21-2011 10:29 PM

^^Agreed. Horse hair can be extremely slippery if you are wearing pants of a particular material, or if the horse is well groomed, or if their hair is short and shiny like it gets in the summer time. Some horses are just slipperier than others LOL. Sometimes, even a good rider will have trouble maintaining a good balanced seat because there is no grip for their legs/seat on the horse's coat.

I like using bareback pads whenever I ride bareback because they do give me that extra little bit of 'stick-um', plus, they are more comfortable for both the horse and me (I don't feel quite so bad about them having to endure my bony butt), and they keep me from having a brown butt when I get off:lol:.

JinglesPony 03-21-2011 10:31 PM

practice!!

bareback riding is just like every other type of horse riding - it takes practice!! Just have fun with it and don't rush yourself, if you're only comfortable walking for now, don't go galloping around. If you feel like you're slipping, there's nothing wrong with grabbing a little of your horses mane until you regain your balance. You'll be a pro bareback rider in no time with some effort (:

glitterhorse 03-21-2011 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AQHA13 (Post 970668)
I use a bareback pad. It's suede so that sort-of helps me "stick", and it has a grab handle over the withers... I would never use one with stirrups though, it's too easy to put uneven pressure and have it slide, not to mention that it puts way to much pressure directly on the horse's spine.

Where is a good place to buy one? I think I'm gonna invest in one!
Posted via Mobile Device

AQHA13 03-21-2011 10:35 PM

I got mine forever ago... I'll go look around and see of I can find one...

glitterhorse 03-21-2011 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JinglesPony (Post 970683)
bareback riding is just like every other type of horse riding - it takes practice!! Just have fun with it and don't rush yourself, if you're only comfortable walking for now, don't go galloping around. If you feel like you're slipping, there's nothing wrong with grabbing a little of your horses mane until you regain your balance. You'll be a pro bareback rider in no time with some effort (:

Lol thanks! I'm gonna baby steps(;
Posted via Mobile Device

Poseidon 03-22-2011 01:05 AM

Mustang Microsuede Bareback Pad - Horse.com

That's the cheapest one I've seen in a while and Mustang makes good pads.

Reinsman Microsuede TackyToo Bareback Pad - Statelinetack.com
That one has Tacky Too and is microsuede on top, so I doubt after you've got it on and you've mounted, that pad isn't going anywhere. I have the same pad as a full saddle pad and it almost sticks to my mare. However, some horses don't like Tacky Too, just as a warning.

Palomino Brigade 03-22-2011 04:31 PM

I usually just grip his shoulders with my knees if I'm slipping or I'll make him stop so I can pull myself back into position, unless there's a hill around. Then I'll just grab his mane and ride up and down the hill until I'm back where I need to be. LOL. (Just me havin' fun. :))

MHFoundation Quarters 03-23-2011 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JinglesPony (Post 970683)

Exactly :) I grew up riding bareback and I think the best riding advice I've gotten yet came very early and has always stuck with me, both because it works and because it's kinda silly. Have you ever seen a child's weeble toy? The little egg looking guys that you can knock around but they don't fall over? Why is that? They have a ball inside that just moves with the flow and keeps them centered. Think of yourself having a ball like a weeble, belly button to pelvic bones. Practice "rolling your ball" at each gait, taking your time until you really get the feel for your horse's movement and can float along with. Before you know it you will be the rider people say "sticks like a tick"