The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Looking For Reputable Trail Horse Trainer/Sales (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/looking-reputable-trail-horse-trainer-sales-81685/)

joarda 03-22-2011 10:29 AM

Looking For Reputable Trail Horse Trainer/Sales

Does anyone know of a reputable, honest seller of well broke, healthy, kindly treated, safe trail horses? A seller who is willing to stand behind what they sell? I am located in upstate NY - willing to travel to seller if trustworthy. I have been searching the internet and have located a few places but of course no negative testamonials would ever be posted on their sites. I quickly discarded some based on forum comments. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

lildonkey8 03-22-2011 11:15 AM

well, exactly what type of breed are you searching for? I'm not a seller, i'm only nine, but try to hunt down some horses in your area and send you a link!

franknbeans 03-22-2011 12:25 PM

Welcome to the forum! I live in upstate from about april until november every year, and have my horses there with me. I am just south of Rochester. Anyway, I have a wonderful trainer, and his son, also a trainer, swears by Pond Hill. They are in Vermont, but he has told me that they have nice horses, great selection, and a great variety, depending upon what you are looking for. But, they are, from what he has told me, pretty reliable. Horses for sale Vermont, Camp Horses for Lease, Selling Horses for sale VT, NH, CT, RI, MA, NY ME, NJ, PA, OH I got my killer trail horse by word of mouth. Friend of a friend......best one I have had in a LONG time. I MIGHT consider selling for a better reining prospect.....but I have a lot of $$ in his training.
If you are at all interested in Gaited-the place I keep my guy at in the winter in Va MAY be looking to sell some of his TWH's. His horses are fabulous. But, he carefully selects all homes for his horses, since they really are his babies...he has bred most of them.
There are also several small area farms that occassionally have something available.....Not sure what they have right now, but if you PM me I can give you a name or 2.
I would highly recommend that you take someone really knowledgeable of your ability as well as horses with you.

joarda 03-22-2011 01:05 PM

Hello! Thanks for responding! I live in Rochester. Small world! I did see Pond Hill's website. To be honest - I was turned off by their site. 'A Load of Horses' ?? Might as well have said 'A Load of Equipment'. Perhaps I am not educated in the business of horse trading but I didn't like it. I am an adult rider, novice to trails, got back into riding a couple of years ago and was sold a mare who is too much horse for me. The best lesson I ever learned.... She is still with me - unless I can place her in a situation that I KNOW she will be cared for and loved for the rest of her life she will stay with me. I am responsible for her welfare. Thats the deal. I don't trust my safety with her on trails (she's not stupid, just lacks experience) she and I are fine in the ring but I want to trail ride and I need a safe, as unflappable as can be, horse as a long term partner on the trails. A horse that can go anywhere. Size matters - 14.3hh is perfect, 15.0 hh is max. I need a confidence builder who will take care of me but move out if asked. I am an advanced beginner - if I feel secure I have a solid seat and quiet hands. Still developing skills. I have never ridden a gaited horse but am certainly open to it. And I prefer a horse who can ride bitless.

I will give Pond Hill another look and perhaps give them a call and see what my impression is of them. Ever heard of Adams Horse and Mule (KY I think) or Hollis Ranch in NH?

Thanks so much!

Just curious - can you share the name of your trainer?

Quote:

Originally Posted by franknbeans (Post 971189)
Welcome to the forum! I live in upstate from about april until november every year, and have my horses there with me. I am just south of Rochester. Anyway, I have a wonderful trainer, and his son, also a trainer, swears by Pond Hill. They are in Vermont, but he has told me that they have nice horses, great selection, and a great variety, depending upon what you are looking for. But, they are, from what he has told me, pretty reliable. Horses for sale Vermont, Camp Horses for Lease, Selling Horses for sale VT, NH, CT, RI, MA, NY ME, NJ, PA, OH I got my killer trail horse by word of mouth. Friend of a friend......best one I have had in a LONG time. I MIGHT consider selling for a better reining prospect.....but I have a lot of $$ in his training.
If you are at all interested in Gaited-the place I keep my guy at in the winter in Va MAY be looking to sell some of his TWH's. His horses are fabulous. But, he carefully selects all homes for his horses, since they really are his babies...he has bred most of them.
There are also several small area farms that occassionally have something available.....Not sure what they have right now, but if you PM me I can give you a name or 2.
I would highly recommend that you take someone really knowledgeable of your ability as well as horses with you.

franknbeans 03-22-2011 06:42 PM

Ok-well, I would say you are probably safer with them than an individual totally unknown to you....but....

The trainer I use is Dave Minteer. Here is his FB page. Minteer Training at Wild Side Ranch | Facebook
His son, Jack also trains, and I have used him, but I will say that Jack, perhaps because he is younger (like late 30's) tends to train the horses to be a bit more "up" than his dad. Dave is really wonderful, but he is not a good teacher, just a good trainer. I had my guy with him all last summer (6 months), and was there 4-5 days a week watching him train. Learned a tremendous amount. He will also not send you and your horse home until he knows you can handle the horse safely. Most of us who use him are a little older, like 50's and up, who need a little more confidence, and a safe sane mount. He typically doesn't have horses for sale, but trains what you get. I will say he prefers to not actually break colts anymore. He uses natural horsemanship, based on Chris Cox's theory, although, at 70, I am pretty sure Dave was doing it long before Chris Cox did! Perhaps Dave could help youwith the one you have, if you think you could deal with that. If not-I am sure he could help with another if you needed. I know I will never have total confidence in my old guy again, so he is semi-retired, and I now have the "new" one, who did nothing but trails until I bought him. Honestly, I think I could put a monkey on him and he would tote them around, following. But if I want to go-he will. He has been a real confidence builder.
Another person who may be able to help, if you want to work with your horse is Joann at Gentle Dove Farm. She does clinics for desensitizing, mounted police style.
If you want to look at gaited down here in VA-the ranch I am at is JBit-they are in Berryville, and have a web site. I doubt that Todd, the owner has any of his horses listed for sale, but I know he has mentioned it, and I also know he will only send his to a Parelli home. His all ride with halters or bridleless, at least most that I have seen, unless they are green beans.
Hope that helps-be careful-I have gotten a few who just didn't work out for me, they were too much horse, and I know what that is like. But-that was also prior to me having Dave's help. He will also tell you if he doesn't think a horse will ever work for you, once he has had a chance to work with it. But that is pretty unusual. He can usually work through it with the 2 of you.
Feel free to PM if you want-we have Hunter Paces in the summer if you want-they are basically glorified trail rides for most of us-the dates are on the FB page-Davidson Knoll Farm in Canandaigua.

lildonkey8 03-23-2011 12:15 AM

here are some QH's:
Great Mare for Beginner
this guy sounds great...hope you like bays!
Youth or Confidence Building Show Horse. ALL Around!

a POA I found if you want a pony
Beautiful POA Gelding

franknbeans 03-25-2011 10:24 AM

THis may be a possibility......just saw it on Craigslist.
Beautiful BuckskinbTN Walker/QH Cross Mare For Sale

QuarterMileRun 03-25-2011 09:17 PM

Chip away Stables in Aguwam is fantastic! But they are mass....I do everything with them!

joarda 03-28-2011 11:12 AM

Response to Frank/Beans

Quote:

Originally Posted by franknbeans (Post 974511)
THis may be a possibility......just saw it on Craigslist.
Beautiful BuckskinbTN Walker/QH Cross Mare For Sale

I have tried to send you a PM but apparently I am restricted from doing that until I have 5 posts? Thanks so much for your advice and this list. I will check into it. Also will reach out to Dave Minteer if my current trainer can't assist with the trail training. I will fit right in with the over 50's group that needs a confidence builder :) Would love to hook up with the trail rides out of Canadaigua but until my Morgan has some training or I have a trail horse I won't be able to participate. Thanks so much for your generosity and effort to respond to my request for help with this. I really appreciate it!

Jo

franknbeans 03-28-2011 12:14 PM

There is actually a Morgan GROUP who does trial rides in Mendon Ponds.....I could probably find out the name of the lady who organizes them if you want.....However, I would not suggest large group rides for a while. THey still intimidate me, even with my "monkey carrying" horse. lol