The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Jump-off GALLOPING (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/jump-off-galloping-8186/)

Mathew 04-22-2008 06:35 PM

Jump-off GALLOPING

Hey there does anybody know whether or not you should steadily gallop your horse in a jump off or speed up your canter or what. Thanks to anyone who can help.

PoptartShop 04-22-2008 06:46 PM

I don't think you should like, rush to the jump. You should be collected & at a good pace, not SUPER fast. ;) The horse shouldn't really rush to the jump.

wild_spot 04-22-2008 09:34 PM

I tend to use whatever space I can for a good hand gallop, then sit up and collect them into the jumps. Collection for corners is essential as well, as the tighter the corners the shorter the course the quicker the time.

koomy56 04-22-2008 10:19 PM

Those who win jumpers are not galloping their horses off their feet. It's all about the the inside turns and calculated routes. :)

My2Geldings 04-23-2008 11:39 PM

It all depends on the level of competition, the length of the course, the height of the fences, the type of course, the footing etc etc...
there are a lot of things that would affect the speed of a jump off.

Can we get more info?

upnover 04-26-2008 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koomy56
Those who win jumpers are not galloping their horses off their feet. It's all about the the inside turns and calculated routes. :)

AMEN!

Sure you need to step it up a notch in the jump off but it personally drives me crazy when I see people tearing around the jumper course as fast as they can running their horses at the jumps. Sure you can get away with it at the lower levels but it's not going to work for you once the fences get bigger.

brittx6x6 04-28-2008 07:10 PM

It all depends on the size of the fence and the size of the course. When you have big open courses where you might have a stretch in between fences you want to open your horse up. But you always want your horse back and collected when you jump the fence. It takes a while to learn how quickly each horse comes back. My trainers pony only needs 2 strides to come back where my girl needs 4 or 5. Then again my trainers pony has learned when its a jump off. Like said before speed will not when you a jump off. Its all about turning. Its better to slow down, keep your momentom, and take the shortest route than to fly over the fence and have to make a wider turn. but this gets into the horses ability to turn in air and i don't want to drag on ha ha ha.

My2Geldings 04-28-2008 09:07 PM

The horse's ability, athleticism and experience will also affect how you go thru a jump off.

TpWindsor 04-29-2008 02:58 AM

i would deffinatly not speed into the jump's
but stedy, and colected.
you want power but not speedy fast.

Miki :lol:

love-a-hero 05-02-2008 01:43 AM

Oh dear lord, how many times have i seen pple fang around the showjump course, their horse plowing through jumps... :roll:

I agree what koomy sed. Its about the corners (cause you cut corners) and the jumps line. Trust me, if you have a half handy horse that can do roll backs, and can work well ie do a balanced turn you dont need speed.
Speed in some height classes are just asking for a complete disaster :roll: