The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Cake for Horses and People? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/cake-horses-people-81864/)

rocky pony 03-24-2011 01:20 AM

Cake for Horses and People?

I know this is gonna just make me sound like a big ol' sap...please excuse my corniness as this is just my dream horse here, I have no words for what she means to me in my life right now.

So the four-hooved love of my life is having a birthday next month...:wink:
She's turning 9 and I decided to make her and her little friends a cake. Her owner/soon-to-be previous owner (:D) and I were talking about it and trying to figure out if it'd be possible to make a cake that would also taste good to humans.

We were pondering the idea of a raw cake made by just mixing up sliced apples, etc. with molasses/honey, formed into a cake shape...maybe even a little bit of frosting. Also maybe on the horses' slices I could sprinkle yummy grain and on the peoples' slices I could put sprinkles, or something like that.

I'm wondering how I can make it tasty. I'm trying to figure out what exactly the horses can safely eat. I read somewhere that they can eat berries, is this true? Like blueberries, blackberries?
What else would be safe? I'm just trying to figure out enough safe ingredients that would actually taste good together...that the horses would actually be interested in eating, too (and I'll test that part with all of our party guests before the cake is made!).

If in doubt, I will just make an exclusive horsie cake for them as I have plenty of tried and true recipes for those, but it would just be cool to share one with them!
So, any ideas for our cake?

(And as a disclaimer, don't worry. The horses won't be getting big slices or anything, it will be a small cake :wink:)

Thank you for any thoughts shared and for humouring me,
Happy trails :D

jdw 03-27-2011 04:08 PM

What a cute idea!! I for one would love some horsey recipes ~ but I have no idea about the other. That would be cool if there was a way to make something you all could enjoy!!