The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Ways to feed magnesium to my horses? Help please? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/ways-feed-magnesium-my-horses-help-81866/)

HollyBubbles 03-24-2011 03:58 AM

Ways to feed magnesium to my horses? Help please?

Long story short(ish) I have two horses who unfortunately have ryegrass staggers at the moment (for those of you who haven't seen it before I'll try post a video of bubbles soon-ish).

I know it is to late to feed them magnesium to prevent it, but I never knew they would get it as bubbles, who I have had for 3 years has never gotten it before, and she is the prone one.

So, I live on a dairy farm and dad was telling me about his dosatron(sp?) which is a tool he uses to put magnesium in the water troughs of his cows to prevent grass staggers. I was just wondering, if I could get him to put some magnesium into my horses water trough for next time as a preventative, or would it be worth giving it to them anyway?

Or should I stick to putting it in their feed?

I was talking to a friend about feeding it to them and she said don't use the liquid form in their hard feed it goes right through them, but instead to feed them the powder form along with oil of some sort to make it stick to their gut and absorb through.

If its any help, bubbles weighs around 550-600kg and is 25yo, and Mitchell weighs around 700kg-ish (guesstimation:lol:, but he's a well muscled 16.1hh) and is 7yo. Both thoroughbreds.

Oh and, dad has decided to re-grass the paddocks with low endophyte grass (A1 I think??) for next summer, so both his calves and my horses should be better off.
-But at the moment my horses have been taken off the grass they got staggers on (poor things are practically living on dirt, soaked hay and chaff at the moment, with apple cidar vinegar added as I've been told it helps)

Cherie 03-24-2011 09:56 PM

I have no idea what is available in your part of the world. We over-seed ryegrass on all of our pastures because it is so productive in the spring. We always keep out a 'high Mag' loose mineral when we do.

We have a lot of cattle around here that pasture on winter wheat, so the feed centers keep wheat pasture mineral. We feed it to our horses when they are on grass or grass hay and particularly if they are eating ryegrass.

It is 24% Calcium and 3% Magnesium. It prevents milk fever and and grass tetany.

If you have any cattle centers near you, ask if they have High Calcium / High Magnesium loose mineral. You can also obtain IV electrolytes with high Calcium and Magnesium content. It may take something like that to straighten them out quickly.

starlinestables 03-24-2011 10:22 PM

add a pinch of epsom salt to the feed.

HollyBubbles 03-25-2011 03:30 AM

They have big salt blocks hanging up in the paddock, I had to buy another one today because bubbles was getting kicked out of hers by Mitchell.

I went out to feed them tonight and then realised that my Gumnuts by Mitavite have magnesium etc in them which is cool :D

Quote:

If you have any cattle centers near you, ask if they have High Calcium / High Magnesium loose mineral. You can also obtain IV electrolytes with high Calcium and Magnesium content. It may take something like that to straighten them out quickly.
Yup haha lots of them around I was at one today, will ask them when I'm next in.. Hopefully tomorrow or monday :)