The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Where to get an OTTB (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/where-get-ottb-81869/)

SummerBreeze 03-24-2011 08:22 AM

Where to get an OTTB

I am planning on buying another horse within a year. I have started doing my research now about what type of horse I would like to buy. Currently I have a APHA who I adore. He is an awesome horse, and I intend on keeping him. I had an Appendix show horse growing up, so I have always been attracted to Thoroughbreds. I understand they are not for beginner riders, and I am comfortable with that. I have been reading a lot about OTTB. Like anything there is so much information out there. It is hard to determine what information can be trusted and what can not.

Can anyone suggest a good rescue organization to purchase a OTTB from? I found one that appears to be reputable, but there horses are either really expensive, or you have to by them sight unseen. Not sure how I feel about buying a horse without riding first. Any suggestions would be great!

Alwaysbehind 03-24-2011 08:47 AM

What part of the country are you in?

Luvs2jump 03-24-2011 09:02 AM

The only 2 I know of depending on where you're at are:
CANTER
New Vocations Racehorse Adoption Program

Speed Racer 03-24-2011 09:03 AM

You don't need to adopt or even purchase from a rescue. There are plenty of TBs done with their racing careers that you can see, ride, and vet, who won't cost you a boatload of money.

I won't get a horse from a rescue. If I can't have the horse outright, I'm not taking it home. As for any 'rescue' that expects you to take a horse sight unseen, run far and fast away from them!

ptvintage 03-24-2011 09:13 AM

I went to the actual racetrack, and as soon as trainers saw me looking at one horse, they were coming up telling me about their horses for sale. Very motivated sellers!

They are everywhere. At my barn, a little less than half of them are OTTBs. Just do a search through the classifieds for TB's, and many of them will be exracers.

SummerBreeze 03-24-2011 09:18 AM

I am in North Carolina. I don't mind traveling a state or two away to look at a horse. Thank you for the confirmation on not buying a horse "sight unseen". Many of the websites I was looking at make it seem like buyig a horse that way is a normal thing to do.

Speed Racer 03-24-2011 09:24 AM

Summer, was it by any chance AC4H (Another Chance for Horses)? They're pretty much just a brokerage for slaughter bound horses. There is an actual rescue, but the real money is made by suckering people into buying high priced, broken down horses.

I'm in VA. I got my ex racer from his trainer, who claimed him in a stakes race. He's the horse in my avatar. Lovely, sound, sane, and kind. Beautiful horse with an equally beautiful personality, and I got to meet him before anything was decided.

TBs are a dime a dozen, which is unfortunate in a way, but very fortunate for those of us looking for a good, inexpensive animal.

SummerBreeze 03-24-2011 09:54 AM

The name of the farm I was looking at is Bits and Bytes Farm, GA. It is easy to find if you google it. Interesting website, worth looking at.

So, you said you bought your OTTB from a trainer. How does one go about finding a reputable trainer? Thank you for all the advice. I trust the information I get off this forum so much more then random websites!

ptvintage 03-24-2011 10:01 AM

I found mine off www.canterusa.org but I wouldn't say I trust every/any person on there. They are horse sellers, like any other. Get professionals to evaluate the horse.

MyBoyPuck 03-24-2011 10:09 PM

I second Bits and Bites. Also Rerun.org has a branch in VA I think.