The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Mud stains be gone!? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/mud-stains-gone-81898/)

Prairie Sands 03-24-2011 01:33 PM

Mud stains be gone!?

How do you guys get the mud stains off of your horses legs in the winter time! Its too cold to give them a bath! I just need to know how to get them off! Is there like a stain removing pad that I could use or what?

Do you think make-up remover oil free pads would work? I dont want to hurt her it was just a thought? We can use them on our faces so i would think that a horses fur would be fine, right?

mls 03-24-2011 02:31 PM

Is it mud - or manure?

debbielushy 03-24-2011 06:23 PM

How do you get rid of mud clumps that are rock hard??

HI I have a problem with trying to brush out loads of mud clumps that are rock hard on my horse's chest/girth area....I have tried brushing everytime to lessen the mud clumps to no avail....sprayed detangler to try and soften mud...not sure if thats working either! Any tips or ideas to solve this annoying problem would be much appreciated as I want to get back riding again. We do not have access to water which makes it even more trickier. Too cold to take horse down to lake and give him a bath! Lol.

SAsamone 03-24-2011 06:25 PM

its warm here now but when it wasn't i used lysol spray- but im sure any kind of "pet/family friendly" oil and grease remover spray liek that would work.

debbielushy 03-24-2011 06:28 PM

ok thanks for that SAsamone, got a metal sweat scraper that was recommended but am a bit apprehensive to use it.

KawaiiCharlie 03-25-2011 05:34 AM

you can get 'Dry Shampoo' to use if its too cold to bath. basically just spray a bit on, rub it in then wipe it off with a damp cloth. works pretty well. and to stop the mud sticking in the first place, i use '7 day mud away' just spray it on the horse, and leave it on and it stops the mud from sticking (:

SAsamone 03-25-2011 05:04 PM

yea that's the idea^^ I just didn't have any, so I used Lysol lol :) I love dry shampoo, especailly for white horses, in any weather, just because when you bathe them, if you don't blanket them, they roll and get dirty...my mare even rolls in her stall, but we have pretty big stalls.

and where do you find that 7 day mud away stuff? That sounds neat! I would love to try it

KawaiiCharlie 03-25-2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAsamone (Post 974958)
yea that's the idea^^ I just didn't have any, so I used Lysol lol :) I love dry shampoo, especailly for white horses, in any weather, just because when you bathe them, if you don't blanket them, they roll and get dirty...my mare even rolls in her stall, but we have pretty big stalls.

and where do you find that 7 day mud away stuff? That sounds neat! I would love to try it

dont know if you can get it over there, im in the UK lol comes in a white spray bottle with a purple label, can get it in a bit bottle too like this Nettex

SAsamone 03-25-2011 06:22 PM

how neat! i'll have to keep an eye out :D

Luvs2jump 03-25-2011 08:57 PM

For dried mud clumps/spots, I've used either a metal curry comb or a shedding blade. Not to mention a bit of elbow grease.