The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaving a horse tied for hours?

61K views 192 replies 63 participants last post by  Azale1 
#1 ·
What is the point of leaving a horse in training tied for hours? I know that the theory is that it teaches them patience, but it seems cruel to me. I am trying to be open minded as some of the trainers that I am considering for my horse use this practice and I know that I have heard some of the big name trainers say that they will leave a horse tacked up and tied for hours. Interested in opinions pro and con.

#30 ·
Aww nozzz! dey lefted dem poniez tied up fo two owersss. Save dem !!!
Dem cruelz peeps need too b beat !!!!! :cry::cry::cry:

Okay I'll stop... My horses are expected to be tied for however long I need them to be. Not just for grooming and tacking up as most people do. As others have said, great training tool IMHO .

#32 · (Edited)
First, Don't Call Your Horse a Knucklehead.

JDW: The horse is not a knucklehead: he simply hasn't learned to yield to pressure, in the case of leading & tying, to poll pressure.

By breaking an expensive leather halter, horse showed you that you had the wrong halter on him. You need a rope knotted halter to start teaching him to yield to poll pressure in leading & tying.

First, start by pushing down, causing a bit of discomfort, with a finger on either side of his crest, behind his poll. When he yields his head down the slightest bit, jump those fingers off of him to show him that when he yields, his reward is removal of pressure. Get it to the point that he'll lower his head to the ground at a slight pressure.

Then, with your knotted halter, use the same pressure & release for leading, then for tying, the same, except have a long rope just looped once around a stout hitching rail, & when he goes to "rare" back, let it out, feel with him, but with a BIT of pull. This shows him that you're feeling with him in his fear, & that you're not TRAPPING him, but you're also asking him to think about not reacting so much. Stand opposite the rail from him, rather than behind him. This way, he'll gradually learn that it's ok to be tied, without further drama/accidents.

#53 ·
JDW: The horse is not a knucklehead: he simply hasn't learned to yield to pressure, in the case of leading & tying, to poll pressure.

By breaking an expensive leather halter, horse showed you that you had the wrong halter on him. You need a rope knotted halter to start teaching him to yield to poll pressure in leading & tying.

First, start by pushing down, causing a bit of discomfort, with a finger on either side of his crest, behind his poll. When he yields his head down the slightest bit, jump those fingers off of him to show him that when he yields, his reward is removal of pressure. Get it to the point that he'll lower his head to the ground at a slight pressure.

Then, with your knotted halter, use the same pressure & release for leading, then for tying, the same, except have a long rope just looped once around a stout hitching rail, & when he goes to "rare" back, let it out, feel with him, but with a BIT of pull. This shows him that you're feeling with him in his fear, & that you're not TRAPPING him, but you're also asking him to think about not reacting so much. Stand opposite the rail from him, rather than behind him. This way, he'll gradually learn that it's ok to be tied, without further drama/accidents.
There are some horses who give great to pressure but still will not tie well. It has nothing to do with presser or lack there of or knowing how to give to pressure.

#33 ·
Yes. It is a good thing for a horse to learn. I do it everyday for about an hour just so she's use to it. I hope to camp and trail ride with my horse this summer and want her comfortable with being on a picket line. I started out tieing her with a hay bag close and weaned her off of it. While she's tied up I'm close usually doing chores and such. Now she'll stand quietly and doze in the sunshine content to grab a few winks before she has to "work." If you ever plan to show or take your horse off the property this is a valuable training. Not to mention having a horse that will tie quietly while you are grooming, trimming, and tacking up is priceless.

#35 ·
That's how my draft horse was trained.

I believe every horse should be able to stand still and behave for as long as you ask them to. It's almost a necessity. I don't have any problem with tying them for hours, although I'd make sure they have water, especially on hot days.

#36 ·
We had a "thinking" tree for horses that wanted to pull back. This tree was about 3 feet wide in diameter. No horse would budge this tree by pulling back. We also had a extremely thick chain wrapped around the tree a little higher than the horse's head. It's imperative that the horse cannot break or pull down whatever they are tied to when they pull back or this will just reinforce the behavior.

We had a horse that pulled over the hot walker because he would pull back so hard. Took him to the tree and tied him with a rope halter. He did pull back very hard and had a major fit, but it only took one fit for him to realize that it wasn't happening.

I do definitely agree that you need to have a knife handy to cut the rope if needed. Horses can definitely injure their selves and even die in severe cases. Most horses have to learn on their own to a certain extent. I definitely agree with teaching them the poll pressure give and release. This is invaluable and will help when they throw their "fit" at the tree.

#38 ·
It's a very humbling experience. It helps with ground manners and many other issues... I don't have an issue with it.

#39 ·
I do agree with the concept of teaching to give to poll pressure; I had never really thought about it that way. Teaching to lead correctly while respecting the handler's space is one of my first steps in starting a horse, right after accepting handling on any part of their body. I guess I have always taught the yielding to poll pressure and just thought of it as halter breaking, rather than the specific skill of yielding to poll pressure. I can certainly see how trying to teach standing while tied to a horse that doesn't know how to yield to pressure on a lead rope could lead to disaster.

See? That's what I like about discussions like this and this board in general. Makes me think about things that I've just taken for granted.

#40 ·
OMG, I'm sorry I forgot to add: DON,T EVER TIE A HORSE SOLID WITH A KNOTTED ROPE HALTER & LEAVE HIM! Plus, USE A QUICK-RELEASE KNOT always, with a knotted rope halter!

The rope halter won't break should the horse start to fight it, for whatever reason, increasing the odds greatly that he could seriously hurt himself!

#41 ·
I'm not sure you should ever actually "leave" a horse tied. You should always be in ear shot (my opinion). Also, it's good practice to always have a pocket knife handy because sometimes quick releases don't release when the horse has really had a fit or if it's a certain type of rope. (of course, I always forget to carry a pocket knife... bad).

#43 ·
What is your opinion on standing stalls?

I LOVE a horse that knows how to tie. The reason we are taking the horse my Aunt just bought, last week, back is that she did not know how to tie. Not knowing that (because the horse is older) we tied her up in the barn and the horse wigged out enough to break the ring off the wall. Which in turn frightened my Aunt enough to not trust the horse. She stands tied now, thanks to me, but she is definitely not as the guy described her.

#44 ·
I am not a big fan of standing stalls, but it has nothing to do with the horse being tied. I am not a fan of regular stalls either. IMHO, a horse should have room to move around and lay down and stretch out if they want to. But, that's beside the point and off topic LOL.

I think that each horse should be able to be housed in a standing stall if their circumstances demand it.

#45 ·
By saying not to tie with a knotted halter & leave horse, I didn't say that leaving a horse tied is ok.

I've never thought that it was ok to leave a horse tied, regardless of the halter type. I had to leave one barn because I came upon two horses, two separate incidents, all alone & tied, & freaking, & I spoke to owner about it & he didn't like that.

I meant ESPECIALLY, with a knotted halter on, don't leave the horse tied.

#46 ·
Everyone has made great points regarding showing, trail riding, emergencies, etc. I have another point to add that probably most people haven't looked at. I used to work at a big training barn, we would ride 3-4 horses each (the main trainer and myself) in a day. To get the horses ridden, worked properly, and cooled out we had to do a few things. We would tack all the horses up before starting riding so we would have to tie the horses that where waiting to be worked so they didn't roll or wreck the saddles. After riding we would have to walk them until they stopped breathing hard but they would still be really hot. We would tie the horses in their stall (after being untacked) so they couldn't drink and potentially colic.

This may seem "cruel" to someone who doesn't understand their digestion, seeing a hot steamy horse standing in the stall without being able to drink...but that's exactly what they need at that point.

Anyway, just thought I would put that little training point of view out there.

#50 ·
Everyone has made great points regarding showing, trail riding, emergencies, etc. I have another point to add that probably most people haven't looked at. I used to work at a big training barn, we would ride 3-4 horses each (the main trainer and myself) in a day. To get the horses ridden, worked properly, and cooled out we had to do a few things. We would tack all the horses up before starting riding so we would have to tie the horses that where waiting to be worked so they didn't roll or wreck the saddles. After riding we would have to walk them until they stopped breathing hard but they would still be really hot. We would tie the horses in their stall (after being untacked) so they couldn't drink and potentially colic.

This may seem "cruel" to someone who doesn't understand their digestion, seeing a hot steamy horse standing in the stall without being able to drink...but that's exactly what they need at that point.

Anyway, just thought I would put that little training point of view out there.
Exactally. Another very good example of training to stand tied.

#47 ·
This is why I love a horse that knows how to tie - she has headgear still on, and I jumped off and said whoa, so she must be tied to something and tied she will stay until I ask her to move! I am across the yard in this photo, stopping to take pics of my friends - Zierra stood by the trailer and never moved an inch!

For whoever said they're "bored", I find that utter and total hogwash. I've watched them stand and nap for hours at a time in the pasture, it's all they do in the summer. By your logic then, every last domesticated thing we do with them is cruel. Comparing them to "wild horses" in this sense is as silly as people who compare hooves to wild horses and why they don't need farriers. Domesticated horses roam their pastures, but that doesn't stop them from spending extended periods of time dozing together under the shade.

#49 ·
Well if leaving horses tied for hours is cruel, I'm a pretty abusive owner!
Where I compete, we rarely have stables available to leave the horse's in for the day, so they're all tied to the side of the float. Often I'll get a ****** of a draw, my first test will be at 8am and second not until mid to late afternoon. I can tell you, I a NOT going to be walking my horse around all day so that it can 'roam around'. It can learn to stand tied all day, with hay and water constantly available. I can't imagine how frustrating it is for people who's horses fret and carry on when left tied. What a pain! Mine have always settled, as soon as they are tied at a show, they know they're not going anywhere, and usually just go to sleep, or watch the happenings of the show, watch other horses go by etc. Certainly not stressed by any means!

IMO every horse should be taught to tie for long periods of time. As long as you're not strapping their head between their front legs and leaving them without water, they're perfectly happy! My guys stands under a tree and dozes for most of the day, as another poster said, whats the difference between that and having a halter/lead on?
Hell, humans are designed to roam around 'hunting and gathering' and our kids are meant to be active and running around, but we 'train' them to sit in a class room for hours, and many of us spend 8-9 hours a day sitting in an office in front of a computer for work!

#51 ·
Leaving a horse tied for a while isn't mean and it is a great way to teach them patience as long as the horse is tied correctly.
I agree with whoever said on pg 4 not to tie with something that won't break. Also, don't tie with the rope so long the horse can get a leg over and then freak out. I usually have hay string tied in a loop down at the barn on the posts because that's where I normally tie mine for grooming, saddling,etc. I like using the twine because if they do happen to panic the twine will break, but it takes a good pull to break it. I teach them to tie to anything and even ground tie. I start out groundtying by placing a cinder block or something else heavy on the rope. They start to walk away and feel the pressure so they stop. I don't groundtie until they respect being tied to a post, tree, trailer,whatever.
I expect the horse to get to the point where if the rope is even tossed over a post or rail they'll stay "tied" and not move. If they are being groundtied and they start to move I put them right back where they were. If they are tied and getting antsy, they stay tied until they stand still and relaxed.
When tying a problem horse who wants to pull back and break something make sure he's tied to something he can't pull down. Because then when he throws a fit, breaks the post and gets free, it is encouraging him to keep breaking stuff. He has to realize that he's tied and he can't get loose. Sundance has backed up to the end of his rope before while tied and he'll end up with his neck stretched out, bracing against the rope, but after a minute he'll calmly walk forward and release the pressure. I'm sure if that post ever broke he'd think he could do that again.
Chanti is great about being tied and she'll stand for as long as I need her to. As soon as she's tied she cocks a leg and starts to go to sleep lol.
I have left a young horse tied with a saddle on before, and will do it especially after a ride or training session. I think it helps them keep from getting barn sour. Instead of finishing and taking off the tack at the barn and turning them loose I'll leave them tied for a little while so they don't associate the barn with the end of work. I'll also saddle both horses and leave one tied while I work the other.
I think it helps a young horse when they watch another horse being worked.

#52 ·
MM, a horse doesn't get bored in domesticity? It's one of the main problems that horses have in domesticity!

I like to set it up so that the horse suffers boredom as little as possible. The horses that you see dozing in the pasture know that they're fenced in, & have less concern for predators in domesticity, as well, so these facts must be taken into account when deducing the "normalcy" of their dozing times.

We'd do well to tune into just how much we're boring our horses, & that includes the times when we're interacting with them. It's totally important that the horse enjoys being with the human.

#61 ·
Kindly point out where I said horses don't get bored in domesticity? I said that the idea that horses sleep while tied is due to them being "bored" and "checking out" is utter and total hogwash.

I am constantly focused on making things as unboring as possible for my horses. I assume it's some sort of "natural horsemanship" idea that actually convinces people that their horse is so terrified of being tied they just "check out"? The idea that my horse would respond to a "prey instinct" by falling asleep has got to be one of the most nonsensical things I've ever heard.

#56 ·
I think it's great to teach your horse patience, if your at a show and have to leave then tied to your trailer they should be able to stand there with no problems, you should have to worry about them sitting down and breaking away or dancing around for hours because you have no where to put them, I also believe that if your horse has sat back and broken a lead and they cannot tie anymore that you should tie them in a safe way(so they can sit back and not break away or hurt themselves) and leave then there until they realize they cannot break away and and they need to come forward to the pressure not backwards. Then yes I think they should be tied until they understand that IMO.

#57 ·
I think that teaching horses at young ages to stand tied is a very, very good thing. It can help so much. We start all of our minis early (weaninglings) with standing for ten to fifteen minutes at a time, tied with a flake of hay. Gradually over two years we lengthen this time and begin to leave the ground tied, and any one of them will stand for hours, ground tied, dozing with no problem. It is extremely helpful when there are emergencies, and it always helps to have a nice mannered horse to work with when floating/farrier/vetting.

#58 ·
I think to leave a horse tied for extended amounts of time can teach them patience, I know that my horse wasn't taught that! But when I go to a show, I can tie my horse to the trailer with a hay net/bag and don't have to worry about him going nuts! My friends horse reared up when it was tied and the horse hurt itself and my friend!

I think that you should gradually build up the time though. Another thing even though its off topic, I believe a horse even if it lives in a pasture should be taught to be stalled, just in case of an emergency.

#59 ·
I have no problem with leaving a horse tied. We have standing stalls in our barn, its generally the same idea. I have left my mare tied for 6 hours (with hay and water of course) while waiting for my number to be called in our local rodeo. And she did fine, she stood like it was nothing, as for training and discipline, I have to say I believe this too. Our older mare (not in age, as when I was younger) struck my father, so we put her in the barn for the summer. (our horses are out 24/7 in summer, no run in.) Without any outside time. It seemed to teach her that kicking was not acceptable. She never kicked again.

#60 ·
Looking for I put from my earlier comment.

When I tie my horse (while doing chores and such) to train her to stand quietly I use her nylon halter and lead rope... With a quick release knot. A couple have mentioned using special knotted halters and the like. I'm a newbie and am not clear (exactly) what you are refer to. I may need further explination... I fear I may be inadvertantly doing my tieing incorrectly. Thanks.

#62 · (Edited)
Since you say in your last post that horses do get bored in domesticity, does it not stand to reason that they can get bored standing tied for extended periods of time?

Utter hogwash? Why do you say this?

When a person, dog, horse, or other mammal gets bored, the tendency is to doze, is it not? Horses, when repeatedly frustrated, tend to "check out", "shut down", even when they're not tied. It's a mental/emotional escape from their boring/frustrating reality.

If you want to insist that horses cannot possibly get bored or frustrated by being tied for long periods of time (but can get bored at other times?), whatever.

#63 ·
I am gonna do this with Lola! She does stand tied pretty well but she does not like standing at all when loose etc..I will also tie her to a piece of string in a release knot so if she does panic or whatever the string will break.

A few weeks ago a horse was tied to a metal pole for a few minutes. She got afraid of something and started going crazy! The lead rope clip broke. If it hadn't he would have been seriously hurt..That is why I am always told to tie them to string!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.