The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   New Boy! (pictures) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/new-boy-pictures-81933/)

Quedeme 03-24-2011 09:32 PM

New Boy! (pictures)

Ok! So! I have a second horse, and I couldn't be happier!

He is 4 years old, never trained, lightly handled, yet still so amazing!

So, because he actually already knew me, he started his training the day I bought him!

There is so much to do! But, some of the more 'annoying' things are super easy on him! Things like picking up his feet (hasn't been done in over a year but you'd never know it!) and worming! My mare is HORRID at worming and no amount of 'practice' makes her easier, so that's just the one thing I expect out of her. He wormed like a dream! O_O I was amazed to say the least. Worming has always been a battle....the fact he took it like nothing makes me so very happy!

Anyway, back to training lol. I did some other desensitizing with a neon orange winter blanket (didn't have a tarp available lol) and he freaked out the first few times but eventually let me get it on him.

I look so forward to every bit of work I do with this horse because of his quickness of learning, willingness to please, and acceptance of discipline. (just a quick jerk on the lead and he's fully attentive...for a few moments anyway lol)

I'm SO excited!!!

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...0322111445.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...322111445b.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...cture014-2.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...cture012-1.jpg

Don't mind the tail, previous owner let it mat beyond saving x.x

Also, I worked him on a long lead rope....he did WONDERFUL! I put him in the round pen, and he got just a little over excited lol. But after a short while he calmed down and started to listen. I FREAKING LOVE THIS HORSE!

One more thing...He's been renamed...Cajun!

RedTree 03-24-2011 10:30 PM

thats great :D
what are your plans with him?

Eliz 03-24-2011 10:36 PM

Love the name!!
Cute horse, looks like a really honest guy. Good luck and keep us updated!

Puddintat 03-24-2011 10:43 PM

I have a newbie question.:shock: Why is his tail cut short?

Quedeme 03-24-2011 11:14 PM

Puddintat- I explained that his tail was cut because the previous owner let it get matted beyond saving. It was literally like a SOLID mass. I couldn't work any kind of conditioner into it and it was so TIGHT that I couldn't pull it apart or get a comb into it.

My plans for him to just make him a steady riding horse. I'm not much of a shower, but I would like to be in parades and go to play days and just pasture/trail ride with him. He's spirited but calm at the same time, an odd combo I know, but it leads him to have TONS of personality, which I LOVE because my mare, who is already a wonderfully calm mount, has a very 'subtle' personality. Strangers never seem to like her much because she's "boring" (not hard to get her to move, but when she's working, she's just totally calm and can ground tie for an hour at least, and stands tied for hours, and doesn't really play around or any of that. She's also a bit antisocial so new people don't get to see what little personality she DOES have. Like the fact that sometimes she 'plays' with me when I go to catch her. She won't run away, but she'll literally trot in a circle around me, stand, wait for me to get in touching distance, then trot around me again. She does this a few times, then lets me catch her. But this is something she ONLY does with me, and not every time.)

But yeah, those are my plans for him lol. I hope he keeps his wonderful personality though because he's so funny and affectionate. He still needs some respect training but he's not overly pushy by any means and it takes just a bit of firmness and he's golden ^_^ A few more 'lessons' and he'll have nice ground mannors lol. My mare is so funny about that. She's not pushy at all (she's rather submissive) but when she knows you have grain, while NOT invading your space, she dances around and you KNOW she wants it lol. It's so funny. But if I firmly say "Mannors!" she calms down and waits like a good girl for me to put the grain down for her lol. Then when I say "Good girl" she'll eat XD

Also, I plan on using this thread for a type of journal of his progress ^_^

Chele11 03-24-2011 11:59 PM

He's gorgeous. And I actually kinda LIKE his tail - has character! :-)

Good luck with the training!!!

Quedeme 03-25-2011 12:19 AM

I have to admit I love his tail too lol. I worked him in the round pen and even though he's a full QH (papered) he holds it STRAIGHT up because it's so light now. I'm thinking of doing the same cut (maybe a tad longer) to my mare, because her tail is SO heavy, she poops in it x.x I have to clean her tail EVERY time I groom her and I have in the past done a bit of a 'hygiene cut' around her bum, which looks funnier than the short tail lol. It probably won't look bad at all because I roach my mare's mane in summer because it's SO thick and heavy that it sweats one side of her neck and gets horrid dreadlocks, even if I groom it daily. And since she's in a pasture 24/7 braids wouldn't work x.x

But yeah...long story short, the longer I look at him, the more I like his tail lol.

Quedeme 03-25-2011 10:52 PM

He got trimmed for the first time in I don't know how long today and did fabulous. I warned the farrier I didn't know how well he'd do and so the farrier just took it in stride. He only pulled away once but was otherwise perfect! I'm so proud of my boy! Well, I had him done after my mare and while waiting on her he decided to paw a hole in the ground where he was tied. So, when he was done I took him to a concrete area and tied him there and left him. He danced, pawed, called, and snorted, but eventually calmed down (after about an hour) so I fed him and let him go.

ALSO! The other day when I had him in the round pen and I stated him, he went right into a trot and was doing rather well...until the rest of the herd saw he was working! They RACED down the hill to the round pen (it's in the pasture and sadly there's no where else to put it x.x BUT, it's huge). They proceeded to run around the round pen getting Cajun all KINDS of wound up! Luckily he cools off VERY fast and I had his attention back after a short time. This also proves to be good because while feeding him after his tieing lesson today, the neighbor was shooting off a paintball gun. Spooked Cajun all to heck and I'd JUST taken his halter off so I had no control of him. Well, it didn't even take 3 full minutes to get him calmed down and bring him back to his feed. I didn't even need a halter to catch him!

coffeemama 03-26-2011 01:40 AM

I think you have a rare gem with a good mind and kind soul and I can see why you are excited! When you start with a horse with a good head on their shoulders, everthing else is something to look forward to instead of dread. My fjord pony is same way. I cannot wait to work with her on the ground and under saddle she's such a fast learner and she is so much fun even though she has no real training. I ride her out on trails and she is great! I have been working with her in arena which is all new to her and she does try to go out the gate when we go near it but other than that she just gets better every ride and she is so mellow and kind I can slide off her butt and stand behind her walk under her lay across her back she doesn't care. She's like a couch with legs. Okay so you can see I know what you are talking about because I can't stop talking about her so exciting..hahaha

ramesh83 03-26-2011 02:22 AM

New Boy! (pictures)

Nice pictures. Very Very nice horses.
------------------
piping design course |
piping drafting