The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   Buying new breeches? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/buying-new-breeches-81939/)

MarleyandEllie 03-25-2011 12:00 AM

Buying new breeches?

Hi, I'm planning on showing this year and there is this huge sale at greenhawk this weekend... Anyways, I need to get some new breeches because the ones I have are not in "show shape". So because there is a big sale, I can afford to buy good quality breeches.
so I guess my question is... what is the difference between pull-on and full seat? and which one would you recommend for a show? Also, would I get dark or light beige?

Lonannuniel 03-25-2011 12:33 AM

I think pull on breeches are the type where you just...pull them on ( for lack of a better description) and they don't have a zipper / button to do up (correct me if i'm wrong). they come in both full seat and the ones with a knee patch ( i think that's what they're called). I prefer the knee patch breeches...my full seat..well...lets just say the 'seat' fabric stretched and now looks a bit...saggy and unattractive. If you do get a pair, get a high quality pair. hope that helps! I have no advice for the color unfortunately

Hidalgo13 03-27-2011 08:53 PM

I find light beige is the nicest. :) I have the elation pull-ons from Greenhawk and I like them. Though if you can invest in a better pair you should. Kerrits looks good, and they have some fancy show breeches that are probably very good considering the price. Browse their website to see what they have, then write the name of the breech and review on GOogle to see what people liked about that particular breech, or if there are problems with it.

Ex: Elation Pull ons review.

I do that all the time to see if I want a particular product.

Tamibunny 05-10-2011 12:29 PM

Yah pull on breeches dont have a zipper, just an elastic waist, which is fine for showing. Personally I prefer breeches with a zipper and velcro at the ankles. You definetly want to get knee patch not full seat. If your planning on showing in the hunters sometimes full can be frowned upon. Better safe than sorry. I would also suggest going with a light beige or khaki color. Better chance of it matching your coat and shirt. have fun

Indigosblue 05-15-2011 09:03 PM

i think traditionally light beige color breeches are better for shows, I've seen lots of people ride in white ones too.

VelvetsAB 05-16-2011 03:40 PM

Colour will depend on what you are showing. For hunters, a beige in any colour is more traditional, and is also perfectly acceptable in the jumper ring as well. Normally, you do not see white breeches in a hunter ring, and is more of an international thing in the jumper world.

Full seat breeches are going to have more "stick" to them.

countercanter 05-19-2011 08:21 AM

Full seat breeches traditionally aren't worn in the hunter ring. I much prefer breeches with a zipper over pull on ones, I feel like it completes the look more. Go with some variation of tan, some people lean towards lighter tan while some lean towards the more green-tan, it all depends on your shirt and coat. White breeches are really only seen in the jumper ring in classics.