The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Bosal ... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/bosal-81940/)

Chele11 03-25-2011 01:06 AM

Bosal ...

I've tried a few different bits with Chili and none have had the same response as the one her prev owner used - Jr Cowhorse with snaffle (don't ask, I just know what it looks like!) I've been using a very old, very rough bosal with her the last few times I've ridden and she does MUCH better.

I had to delete the reins that were attached to it bc they were beyond usable. In fact, they were practically beyond untying - so, I simply cut them close to where they loop and hooked my nylon reins (clip ends) into the braided area that I'd left.

And it works. But then I laid awake the other night wondering if I was doing something wrong -gut feelin'? And tonight, I went to toss the reins over Chili's head and they were criss crossed. My first thought was, poop, gotta fix that, but then a lighbulb went off in my head... Perhaps the reins would work better that way, so I left 'em.

Whether she's doing better bc I've been riding her in it consistently or if it's due to the criscross, I dunno, but she seemed more responsive tonight.

Off to look for a new set of "real" bosal reins to go with the FUGLY bosal I have. ::sigh:: Hubby gets a $75 BIT and I get... well, I'm looking at a saddle tomorrow, so we'll see. :-)

Poseidon 03-25-2011 01:11 AM

Have you thought of just using a simple sidepull on her instead of the bosal? Then you can use the reins you already have and probably save yourself some money. Sidepull attachments and "indian bosals" only run about $15. I use a sidepull attachment with Abby because she hates bits. Very effective and inexpensive.

christopher 03-25-2011 02:55 AM

good rope halter works much the same

Chele11 03-25-2011 03:10 AM

Her rope halter didn't work as well as the bosal but worked better than the bits we tried -which led me to the bosal.

While I will certainly look into the sidepull - I have to ask first, what? I'm not up to speed on all the terminology!

Chele11 03-25-2011 03:15 AM

OH! It's something that attaches to a regular headstall. Cool.

Poseidon 03-25-2011 11:38 AM

http://crazyropes.com/images/crazyro...1.15194629.jpg
That's what Abby has.

Otherwise you could go to a local tack shop and ask about reins for your bosal.

Chele11 03-25-2011 12:27 PM

The ONLY tack shops we have nearby are Amish. Next town up is Orchelins and Tractor Supply - not exactly full tack shops! There are some about an hour away. We've also been told about sale barns (for tack, I'm not buying a horse or even gonna look, gonna keep my head down and try not to cry!) and we might go to one of those after our tax refund gets here.

christopher 03-26-2011 06:11 AM

get 20 ish feet of good rope from a hardware store and attach it in the same way you'd attach a mecate as reins. make sure it's good polyester rope though